Options

Jack White/ThirdMan/THE VAULT

Comments

• Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,881
    lolobugg said:

Every genius has put out one of these "weird" albums eventually. here is a list......

Eddie Vedder- Ukulele songs

Chris Cornell- Scream

Billy Corgan- Future Embrace

and I am sure there are many more but it is too early in the morning to think

Scott Weiland - 12 Bar Blues
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,236
    6 heavy IPAs in. Love it, genius!
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    I love you, lol!

It takes a couple IPAs to make this good, lol!
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,874
    The more important question is, what kind of ipa were you drinking?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited March 2018
    VERY experimental. Listening to the vinyl as I type. I guess my initial disappointment was that it DID NOT sound like what I had to come to expect from a JW album (Blunderbuss or Lazaretto). Becoming better the more I listen, cause my preconceptions are now gone. I am definitely going to give it more listens, because I respect JW and his artistry. This may be his "Bitches Brew", but we have to wait and see about that.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I like the inscription on the album, very fitting lol:
    "if you don't like this" (side A)
    "I don't know what to tell you" (side B )

Funny shit there Mr. Jack White lol.
  • Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,820
    Listened 2x now and it isn’t all terrible. About half of it is decent, but certainly none of it is his best work. The other half just isn’t for me, and I personally think its awful. Probably give it scattered listens in the future, but I’m glad I didn’t get the vinyl. 

However, my digital copy has surface noise, is the digital pulled from the vinyl? I know Foo Fighters and Mumford has done this in the past. Just curious. 
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    MO195132MO195132 Posts: 42
    love this album. It is not for the masses whatsoever, as well commands a few listens.
    I wish more artists took departures like this...especially Pearl Jam
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    Got around to listening to this today. Not sure I understand some of the hate for it. It's different, but not terrible.  With that said, I didn't buy a copy of it. 
  • Options
    RoeDawg13RoeDawg13 Posts: 246
    Might have been all of the preparation I had from reading forum comments but I gave it a listen last night and found a lot of it was enjoyable, some of it might need a few more listens (or might just never do anything for me) and it was pretty much all weird. I found myself moving to the grooves a couple of times. It'll be on tap again for tonight
    I am wired and fading...
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Tried to play the new JW album the other night at the bar i work at in Brooklyn and couldn't do more than the first couple songs. Not feeling it...
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,189
    edited March 2018
    Attaway77 said:
    lolobugg said:

Every genius has put out one of these "weird" albums eventually. here is a list......

Eddie Vedder- Ukulele songs

Chris Cornell- Scream

Billy Corgan- Future Embrace

and I am sure there are many more but it is too early in the morning to think

Scott Weiland - 12 Bar Blues

I swear I almost added that album to the list. it is one of my secret faves. i left it off because i didn't want to deal with all the "Weiland isn't a genius" BS that would've derailed my point.

I liked what he and Dan Lanois did. very strange songs but all are very catchy.

As for JW's new one. it isn't that bad. I was surprised how many people hated it. I like it better than both Blunderbuss and Lazzaretto. dude is finally doing something new. he has been on repeat every since the Dead Weather broke up as a live band.

Post edited by lolobugg on

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,844
    3 listens in.... I like this album a lot.  However, I mostly listen to eclectic indie music when I'm not listening to PJ, so this is not over the top experimental to me.  I like that Jack is doing what he wants to do and not caving in to re-create White Stripes material.  Kudos Jack! 
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    3 listens in.... I like this album a lot.  However, I mostly listen to eclectic indie music when I'm not listening to PJ, so this is not over the top experimental to me.  I like that Jack is doing what he wants to do and not caving in to re-create White Stripes material.  Kudos Jack! 
    Yeah, I think this thread got in my head a bit when I set my friend up for it over the weekend. This album isn't that weird at all... but I told my friend people were having trouble with it, so he expected something weird.... He didn't understand wtf everyone was talking about. He said it wasn't really weird at all. And he liked it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    isn't that weird at all? the consensus stands. it's weird and oh so awful. lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    There is definitely no consensus on that, lol.
    I've gotta agree... I don't find this album very weird either. I'm still really surprised by the negative reactions to it. It's almost like we're listening to different albums!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    PJ_Soul said:
    I've gotta agree... I don't find this album very weird either. I'm still really surprised by the negative reactions to it. It's almost like we're listening to different albums!
    Maybe everyone is listening to different albums. Jack could be messing with us.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Maybe everyone is listening to different albums. Jack could be messing with us.
    Haha.
    As someone else mentioned, I did like what he put on the record label. Basically a note saying "I don't care if you don't like this album." lol. Good thing he doesn't, as it turns out! :lol:
  • Options
    BrainOfJHABrainOfJHA KC Posts: 695
    Is it possible to spin the record in reverse?  maybe it sounds better...

I actually haven't listened to it yet, but will soon.  
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Btw, I also like how the Vault version of the record totally looks like black vinyl until you hold it up to the light, and it's blue marble. I've never seen that before. I mean, that's not worth the difference in price from the regular version, but still, kinda cool.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    PJ_Soul said:
    Btw, I also like how the Vault version of the record totally looks like black vinyl luntil you hold it up to the light, and it's blue marble. I've never seen that before. I mean, that's not worth the difference in price from the regular version, but still, kinda cool.
    An original Synchronicity looks black but is purple in the light.  It's a tremendous pressing to boot. That's the only other one I've seen like that. 
  • Options
    I found the best way to listen to the new album is to put it back the record back in its sleeve and play any other album in your collection. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    consensus means general agreement. I'd say about 95% of people who have listened to it think the same way I do including reviewers, lay people, etc. that's a general consensus. if you like it, awesome, but most don't. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    consensus means general agreement. I'd say about 95% of people who have listened to it think the same way I do including reviewers, lay people, etc. that's a general consensus. if you like it, awesome, but most don't. 
    I'd love to see your sources, lol. I'm looking at more than just this one thread, not sure where you're looking. I disagree with your assessment, and from what I can tell, the majority of reviewers actually gave it high marks.... I have seen plenty of lay people like it too. Hey, I'm not getting defensive about the album - I couldn't care less if lots of people don't like it... I just think you're way overestimating how many people don't like it, and I therefore still say there is definitely no consensus.
  • Options
    my sources are probably very close to the same as yours, "lol". it's defintely not just here. and besides the reviews that jack's posted themselves, I haven't seen very many say it's a good album. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    my sources are probably very close to the same as yours, "lol". it's defintely not just here. and besides the reviews that jack's posted themselves, I haven't seen very many say it's a good album. 
    I guess they aren't, since I'm seeing a different story than you are. Yeah, some really don't like it, clearly, but I don't think it's as lopsided as you're saying, from everything I've read.
    You're getting a bit snippy about this and I don't understand why.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,931
    After seeing his interview with the drummer from Metallica, I get his angle on the album. He said he started doing stuff with Jay Z for a joint album. Combine that with the trak he did with Beyonce, this is his his demo/resume for saying "look Hip hop/pop artists, I can be flexible and do some crazy shit in the rock/Americana vein but be progressive if you want to work together".

He didn't say that, but I feel like thats his angle for making this shit so out there.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I guess they aren't, since I'm seeing a different story than you are. Yeah, some really don't like it, clearly, but I don't think it's as lopsided as you're saying, from everything I've read.
    you're projecting again 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,931
    I do feel like theres a pretty even divide. But very little in the middle. Its either love or hate. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    you're projecting again 
    Oh, okay. Yeah, you're not being snippy at all.