Options

Jack White/ThirdMan/THE VAULT

Comments

• Options
    DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 636
    So this album is... not good.

man. 
    I, respectfully, disagree. On my fifth or so listen now and I really dig what he’s doing. Don’t get me wrong, it’s weird. But I like it when an artist takes a sharp left turn and subverts everyone’s expectations. I think the funk drums work really well with Jack’s style and I think some of the more jam-y songs are gonna kill live. Jack has never been one to over produce his songs, and the chances he takes here somehow simultaneously sound looser and tighter than anything he’s ever done. 

All that said, I’m pretty sure my wife is going to hate 80% of the album, haha. But that’s the great thing about music; we all have our own ears and everything hits each one ofnus
    differently.
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 4.13.12
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Los Angeles 1 5.22.24
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,516
    Where are you all listening to the album? Is there a stream somewhere?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,911
    It leaked over the weekend
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    PJ_Soul said:
    Where are you all listening to the album? Is there a stream somewhere?
    Record store listening party.

It leaked over the weekend
    Then knew this would happen.
    #FHP
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Okay, so where can I find the leak? :tongue: If you all have listened to it several times, it must be somewhere! ... I have already paid for two copies of the thing on vinyl, so I'm not too worried about listening to it for free right now, lol.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    PJ_Soul said:
    Okay, so where can I find the leak? :tongue: If you all have listened to it several times, it must be somewhere! ... I have already paid for two copies of the thing on vinyl, so I'm not too worried about listening to it for free right now, lol.

I have the vault and four copies of the cd coming from buying tickets.  I hope it's decent!

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I have the vault and four copies of the cd coming from buying tickets.  I hope it's decent!

Yeah, I got the second one because they offered the regular pressing with my ticket for only $18. How could I say no? :tongue:

Hey, I just got my Vault shipping notification. Yay!
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    My Vault has already arrived, sleeve is nice, worth the extra $... not sure. Probably one of those things I should have just picked up on regular LP when I saw it at a sensible price. Not had a full listen yet.
  • Options
    FR181798 said:
    My Vault has already arrived, sleeve is nice, worth the extra $... not sure. Probably one of those things I should have just picked up on regular LP when I saw it at a sensible price. Not had a full listen yet.
    Yeah, I know I'm going to regret spending the money on this Vault, lol. I did the same thing with Lazzaretto. I don't know why I go for the vaults when the only real difference between the LPs is the colour. It's quite stupid, lol.
  • Options
    BTW, I just realized that the Vault was actually shipped four days ago. They just sent out the tracking info once the package was already in Canada. That is a great way to do it. Don't tell us it's on the way when we still have to wait a while, lol. Tell us once it's well on the way! Cuts down on the impatience. :plus_one: I also noticed that the Vaults are shipping out of Illinois now, not Nashville like before. I assume that's because of the new plant in Michigan. Good deal - packages usually get out of the US way faster when they originate in the North.
  • Options
    This will probably be my last TMR vault ever unless they pull out some mega rare Stripes thing. 

• Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,492
    I didn't make it through one complete song and I am pretty confident I'll never listen to this again ever.

Which annoys me since I've been a huge all things Jack fan forever. 

But like WTF is going on here?
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Was able to score a ticket to the Warsaw show and super pumped! These album reviews are making me nervous though--hopefully the songs translate well live. Nevertheless, gonna be cool to see Jack in such an intimate venue.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    BrainOfJHABrainOfJHA KC Posts: 695
    So are the singles that have been released so far the best tracks from the album?
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    samjam said:
    Was able to score a ticket to the Warsaw show and super pumped! These album reviews are making me nervous though--hopefully the songs translate well live. Nevertheless, gonna be cool to see Jack in such an intimate venue.
    Sam do u have an extra or need a +1, lol!?!

I'm really wanting to see him there.

Anybody with an extra ticket?
  • Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,890
    The show in LA last night was pretty awesome. I was impressed with how the new songs come across live. I particularly enjoyed Corporation and Respect Commander live, despite their lack of real lyrical content, because Jack lets loose on those songs and really jams. LIke some of the new, more rockin' arrangements he played on some of the older acoustic stuff like the song Blunderbuss, and Just One Drink. 

Looking forward to seeing him a couple more times later this summer.
  • Options
    timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    kasedoug said:
    The show in LA last night was pretty awesome. I was impressed with how the new songs come across live. I particularly enjoyed Corporation and Respect Commander live, despite their lack of real lyrical content, because Jack lets loose on those songs and really jams. LIke some of the new, more rockin' arrangements he played on some of the older acoustic stuff like the song Blunderbuss, and Just One Drink. 

Looking forward to seeing him a couple more times later this summer.
    Agreed. Great setlist last night!
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    Leave it to Stereo Gum to brutalize an artist.  I'm sure it's right, but no hold barred on that site.  
  • Options
    At least, hopefully, the vault will come in a nice looking box.  
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,189

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,846
  • Options
    I've read some good reviews too. Can't wait to hear this for myself... still haven't because nobody will help me out with that. ;)

One comment about the above review... "aging out rock star"?? He's only 42!
  • Options
    One line from that REALLY BAD!!!! review, lol, that bugged me a bit:
    "And there is a whole song, “Why Walk A Dog?,” in which White seems to equate pet ownership with absolute evil: “Are you their master? / Did you buy them at the store? / Did they know they were a cure for you to stop being bored?” (The answer to the title question, at least, seems pretty obvious: You walk a dog so that it does not shit in your house.)"

No, the song is not about equating pet ownership with absolute evil, lol. Overall I think the review took a bit too much too literally. But Jesus, that's a bad review, and I'm particularly disturbed by the part about how he's turning to synth-shit, auto tune, and easy to play guitars and shit. If true, I hope that's a very brief phase.
  • Options
    I think all those things could work, but they just don't work here. 
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Alright, I've finally had a listen... I actually like this album, with a few exceptions. "Ezmerelda Steals the Show" sucks for me because I really don't care for spoken word in general, and if anything shouldn't be doing spoken word, it's Jack White. I don't even like it when he talks during his live shows. :lol: Also, I HATE highly auto-tuned vocals, so "Get in the Mind Shaft" is pretty awful for me as well. And "What's Done is Done" is just kinda lame and it's way too country for me. Those three songs are in succession, so that whole section of the album is not doing it for me at all. But I like the rest of it enough to actually spin it I think. Obviously it's not anywhere near as good as his other two solo albums, and I agree with that scathing review in that he seems to have really taken a step back from actual songwriting in way. That's a shame. Also, I have no idea how much of me thinking most of the album is okay is just blind JW bias ...... Is this how it feels to like Backspacer or Can't Deny Me???? =)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited March 2018
    I tried to get through it again and there are brief moments where I think it’s gonna grab me, but it’s followed by some of the worst musical decisions I’ve ever heard.

I figure this will get very occasional spins when it settles in, but right now it’s one of the worst albums by a name artist that I can remember.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,819
    mrussel1 said:
    Leave it to Stereo Gum to brutalize an artist.  I'm sure it's right, but no hold barred on that site.  
    It sounds like a man disappearing permanently up his own asshole.

:rofl:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,819
     Stop ignoring the beauty of mouse death, fools!

:rofl:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com