Options

Jack White/ThirdMan/THE VAULT

Comments

• Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Horos said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JK_Livin said:
    Do you get to keep this pouch on you and can you see inside to see if you have a text message? 
    That's a great point.  A lot of us have kids and can't just be disconnected for an entire show.  Moving to the designated area sucks because of the GA issue.  I'm going to the Anthem which is basically all GA.  So you leave, your're done and in the back.  I'm not down with this strategy.  
    It's amazing that are parents were able to do anything before cell phones...
    How did anybody do anything before cell phones?

If you can't be disconnected for a few hours you have no business being there in the first place.
    that's a bit harsh. the fact is, we come to rely on the technology that is available to us, and it is marketed in a way that makes you believe you need it. why not have your phone on your hip in case the babysitter has an emergency? that's not "you have no business being there". that's "I have a phone for emergency purposes". emergencies do happen. 

i hate phones at shows. I'm sure any concerned parent would have no issue leaving the venue to check a text. I know I wouldn't. I'm sure you can set a notification from a certain number so you'd know if it's an emergency or not. 
    I attended many shows pre cell phone days when my kids were young. Emergencies may arise so I always left them with someone equipped to deal with an emergency. Pretty simple. We all got along fine without access to a phone.
    #FHP
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    edited January 2018
    Horos said:
    Horos said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JK_Livin said:
    Do you get to keep this pouch on you and can you see inside to see if you have a text message? 
    That's a great point.  A lot of us have kids and can't just be disconnected for an entire show.  Moving to the designated area sucks because of the GA issue.  I'm going to the Anthem which is basically all GA.  So you leave, your're done and in the back.  I'm not down with this strategy.  

If you can't be disconnected for a few hours you have no business being there in the first place.
    that's a bit harsh. the fact is, we come to rely on the technology that is available to us, and it is marketed in a way that makes you believe you need it. why not have your phone on your hip in case the babysitter has an emergency? that's not "you have no business being there". that's "I have a phone for emergency purposes". emergencies do happen. 

i hate phones at shows. I'm sure any concerned parent would have no issue leaving the venue to check a text. I know I wouldn't. I'm sure you can set a notification from a certain number so you'd know if it's an emergency or not. 
    I attended many shows pre cell phone days when my kids were young. Emergencies may arise so I always left them with someone equipped to deal with an emergency. Pretty simple. We all got along fine without access to a phone.
    I understand that completely but with technology, I don't need to get someone to watch my kids. I'm not someone that records or takes pics of artists, it's annoying to me. Will Jack let me take my attention off of him to go buy a beer?  
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    derbydave said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Has anyone been to a show where these phone bags have been used? I'm wondering about the logistics. Doesn't it really slow down entry into the venue? How does that work? Do they lock it for you, or just quickly hand you a bag and you lock it, or what? If every person needs to stop as the staff locked up your phone I can see that taking a long time, what with all the idiots not being ready to do it quickly, stopping to put their phone on silent or whatever the fuck.
    I used one of these at a tracy morgan show and it took a whole 2 seconds.  not really a big deal at all.
    How did you deal with the parental concerns Mike??
    For those that don't know we have five kids so my wife was definitely a little nervous.  However I convinced her that the kids were in good hands since they were divided up between our parents and the show was going to be no more than two hours.  Plus pushing a third beer on her at dinner definitely helped calm her down! lol.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    TY to Mcgruff with helping me get tickets!
    Enjoy the show bud!!!  
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    lolobugg said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Has anyone been to a show where these phone bags have been used? I'm wondering about the logistics. Doesn't it really slow down entry into the venue? How does that work? Do they lock it for you, or just quickly hand you a bag and you lock it, or what? If every person needs to stop as the staff locked up your phone I can see that taking a long time, what with all the idiots not being ready to do it quickly, stopping to put their phone on silent or whatever the fuck.

Dave Chappelle used these on his last tour. no problem at all. quick in and quick to retrieve my phone.
    Cool. I think I'm paranoid about this stuff because the staff at our big concert venues are generally poorly informed and poorly trained and seem to really have a tough time dealing with fucking anything a lot of the time. Just because things go smoothly elsewhere, it doesn't mean it will go smoothly here, lol. Although the arena, where Jack's playing, is a lot better than the stadium next door. Those people have no idea wtf is going on most of the time.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    JK_Livin said:
    Horos said:
    Horos said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JK_Livin said:

I understand that completely but with technology, I don't need to get someone to watch my kids. I'm not someone that records or takes pics of artists, it's annoying to me. Will Jack let me take my attention off of him to go buy a beer?  
    This is not to try and control people like you and me or anyone else who isn't an idiot. It's to take care of all the inconsiderate assholes who aren't able to control themselves and will happily spend the whole show holding a phone in front of a stranger's face while taking flash photos the whole show when the flash is literally useless. I'm glad Jack wants to shut those jerks down for sure, and I'll do whatever it takes to help.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    derbydave said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I used one of these at a tracy morgan show and it took a whole 2 seconds.  not really a big deal at all.
    For those that don't know we have five kids so my wife was definitely a little nervous.  However I convinced her that the kids were in good hands since they were divided up between our parents and the show was going to be no more than two hours.  Plus pushing a third beer on her at dinner definitely helped calm her down! lol.
    Damn. It must be hard to be a parent these days if technology has made some of them feel like if they CAN be reachable 24/7, they SHOULD be reachable 24/7. It seems like quite a burden to me. I'm glad you managed to talk your wife out of that mindset for the show. I know that there are plenty of uptight parents out there who are absolutely livid about this, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Horos said:
    Horos said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JK_Livin said:

so if one of your kids needs to be taken to the hospital, you'd rather just find out after the show instead of having that information readily available. 

of course we all got along without them. we all get along with everything before it's invented. I got along without a phone until I'm 43 and my kids are 8 and 11. my wife and I would go to shows when we didn't have a phone and my kids were infants (my wife breastfed our first in the parking lot right before an RHCP show when she was 2 months old). but it's nice to have the added security. I'm not taking it out unless I get a call, which, for me, is rare. Even then, I'm just taking it halfway out of my pocket to see who it is. If it's not my parents (looking after my kids), I don't answer it. 

pretty simple. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    derbydave said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Damn. It must be hard to be a parent these days if technology has made some of them feel like if they CAN be reachable 24/7, they SHOULD be reachable 24/7. It seems like quite a burden to me. I'm glad you managed to talk your wife out of that mindset for the show. I know that there are plenty of uptight parents out there who are absolutely livid about this, lol.
    yeah smartphones are such a love/hate relationship to me.  I hate that I sometimes depend on it so much.  Back in the day I used to backpack for a week or two in the backcountry of new hampshire and new mexico without a worry in the world.  Now it's like.....oh my god my phone is at 10% and I need to go to target?! what do I do?!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    derbydave said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    it's really no different than our parents age when they left phone numbers of the restaurant they were going to, the friends' house they were going to be at later, grandma's home number in case blah blah blah. 

if anything, it has given more freedom to not have to map out your entire itinerary beforehand. now it's just "I don't know where we'll be, so just call if you need something, but not to ask if you can have another cookie!". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    derbydave said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    yeah smartphones are such a love/hate relationship to me.  I hate that I sometimes depend on it so much.  Back in the day I used to backpack for a week or two in the backcountry of new hampshire and new mexico without a worry in the world.  Now it's like.....oh my god my phone is at 10% and I need to go to target?! what do I do?!
    I don't give a shit about my phone unless my kids are with neither me or my wife. and even then, we had only one phone that only one of us carried for the first 11 years of their lives. I never wanted one. Don't need one except for my kids. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Horos said:
    Horos said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JK_Livin said:

so if one of your kids needs to be taken to the hospital, you'd rather just find out after the show instead of having that information readily available. 

of course we all got along without them. we all get along with everything before it's invented. I got along without a phone until I'm 43 and my kids are 8 and 11. my wife and I would go to shows when we didn't have a phone and my kids were infants (my wife breastfed our first in the parking lot right before an RHCP show when she was 2 months old). but it's nice to have the added security. I'm not taking it out unless I get a call, which, for me, is rare. Even then, I'm just taking it halfway out of my pocket to see who it is. If it's not my parents (looking after my kids), I don't answer it. 

pretty simple. 
    Yeah, and it's also simple to walk over to an attendant and get them to take your phone out of the bag if you get a call. I don't really see what difference it makes.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    derbydave said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    it's really no different than our parents age when they left phone numbers of the restaurant they were going to, the friends' house they were going to be at later, grandma's home number in case blah blah blah. 

if anything, it has given more freedom to not have to map out your entire itinerary beforehand. now it's just "I don't know where we'll be, so just call if you need something, but not to ask if you can have another cookie!". 
    Well I guess parents were chill in my neighborhood, because not once did I see mine or hear of others who would leave the number for a restaurant or anything when they went out, and I babysat in the early 90s all the time and I think maybe 25% of those parents would do this (they were also inevitably the parents who had a child lock on the TV and wouldn't allow any junk food in the house, haha). Hell, I think I stopped even having babysitters by the time I was 7 and my sister was 10 or 11. I have seen this behaviour on sitcoms a lot though, lol.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,627
    I don't believe for a second that Jacks primary concern is people being disturbed at shows.  He doesn't like his picture taken,  videos being on the web and generally people damaging him monetarily. I'm sure it disturbs him too  That's all his prerogative.  But for tool and him,  I don't believe the fans are number one concern. 
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited January 2018
    And they should have a right to protect and distribute their image as they see fit, especially when it’s gotten to the point it has.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    derbydave said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Well I guess parents were chill in my neighborhood, because not once did I see mine or hear of others who would leave the number for a restaurant or anything when they went out, and I babysat in the early 90s all the time and I think maybe 25% of those parents would do this (they were also inevitably the parents who had a child lock on the TV and wouldn't allow any junk food in the house, haha). Hell, I think I stopped even having babysitters by the time I was 7 and my sister was 10 or 11. I have seen this behaviour on sitcoms a lot though, lol.
    um, it's not 'chill' to not leave a number or location where you will be as a parent. that's just plain irresponsible. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited January 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Horos said:
    Horos said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JK_Livin said:

pretty simple. 
    Yeah, and it's also simple to walk over to an attendant and get them to take your phone out of the bag if you get a call. I don't really see what difference it makes.
    it doesn't. as i already clearly stated. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Horos said:
    Horos said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JK_Livin said:

pretty simple. 
    It sucks when you're in a ga only arena like where I'm going...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Horos said:
    Horos said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JK_Livin said:

pretty simple. 
    That can be problematic or can be a great time.

If the crowd is a little rowdy you can jump right in and push on up and go as you please.

If it's "mind your own space" like a PJ show then it's a pain in the ass...
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Horos said:
    Horos said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JK_Livin said:

pretty simple. 
    That can be problematic or can be a great time.

If the crowd is a little rowdy you can jump right in and push on up and go as you please.

If it's "mind your own space" like a PJ show then it's a pain in the ass...
    Yeah, you don't want to get thrown out like "Bartman" at Wrigley II...or Hampton... or C'ville... or LA...
  • Options
    pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    Does anyone think there will be more US dates added or perhaps another US leg?
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Good luck to today everyone.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    I managed to get Vault tix to Minneapolis. I just wish it wasn't a GA only venue.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,890
    Does anyone think there will be more US dates added or perhaps another US leg?
    Yes. There are some major markets that have been left off the initial tour, but those may simply be festivals yet to be announced (Chicago - Lolla). No show in LA, Nashville, and other markets too.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    derbydave said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

um, it's not 'chill' to not leave a number or location where you will be as a parent. that's just plain irresponsible. 
    It just isn't what people did back then. I don't think it's reasonable to suggest that pretty much every parent in my neighborhood in the 80s was irresponsible, lol.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    derbydave said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

It just isn't what people did back then. I don't think it's reasonable to suggest that pretty much every parent in my neighborhood in the 80s was irresponsible, lol.
    well, actually, yes it is what people did back then, and I'm basing this on what my parents did, and personal knowledge of babysitter girlfriends I had. are you seriously telling me that as an 8 year old you knew the procedures of every parent in your neighbourhood when it came to them leaving their kids in someone else's care? LOL

my parents are/were about as chill as they come, but it's plain common sense to let the babysitter know where you will be when they are looking after your child. they may not have left a number, but they left their location at least. that's not a generational thing. people in the freaking 1800's would have told the barnboy where they were going. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    derbydave said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

well, actually, yes it is what people did back then, and I'm basing this on what my parents did, and personal knowledge of babysitter girlfriends I had. are you seriously telling me that as an 8 year old you knew the procedures of every parent in your neighbourhood when it came to them leaving their kids in someone else's care? LOL

my parents are/were about as chill as they come, but it's plain common sense to let the babysitter know where you will be when they are looking after your child. they may not have left a number, but they left their location at least. that's not a generational thing. people in the freaking 1800's would have told the barnboy where they were going. 
    Yeah, I knew what the parents in my neighborhood were doing - my parents, their friends, my friend's parents, and me as a babysitter later, in the 90s. I guess I know what people did as well as you did, at least (I was the actual babysitter instead of the babysitter's boyfriend, lol). I don't care what people did where you lived, and I don't know why in the hell you care what they did where I lived, but I can assure you that all of these parents weren't bad parents, including my own. It seems your purpose here is to inform me that my parents and all the other parents I knew about were irresponsible, which is completely idiotic.
  • Options
    My dad let me sit on his lap and steer the car down the streets of Cleveland while he smoked cigarettes.  I'm pretty sure that wasn't a good idea. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    My dad let me sit on his lap and steer the car down the streets of Cleveland while he smoked cigarettes.  I'm pretty sure that wasn't a good idea. 
    My did did that too, and when I got too big for his lap I would steer just by reaching over from the passenger seat. :lol: Tons of my friends' dads let them do the same. Me and my sister also regularly rode in the hatchback of his little Honda Civic, lol. Kids used to pile into the back of their parents' pick up trucks and none of their parents particularly cared, many of the older cars the parents drove still didn't even have any seatbelts, bike helmets were for professional cyclists only, kids ran around the neighborhood alone by the age of 5, and the idea of a booster seat for kids in cars didn't even exist. It was just a different time. It doesn't mean they were all shitty parents - the culture was simply different back then.
  • Options
    jwhjr17jwhjr17 Posts: 1,896
    mrussel1 said:
    LOL I got to "drive" all the time as a kid with that exact scenario.  Except it was MN lol
    1998-06-30 Mpls | 2006-07-06 Las Vegas | 2010-05-03 Kansas City | 2011-07-01 St. Louis EV | 2011-07-02 Mpls EV | 2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20 | 2011-09-17 Winnipeg | 2012-09-30 Missoula | 2012-11-18 Tulsa EV | 2013-07-19 Chicago | 2013-11-15 Dallas
    2013-11-16 OKC | 2014-10-09 Lincoln | 2014-10-17 Moline | 2014-10-19 St. Paul | 2014-10-20 Milwaukee | 2016-08-20 Chicago
    2016-08-22 Chicago | 2018-08-18 Chicago | 2018-08-20 Chicago | 2022-05-09 Phoenix | 2022-05-20 Las Vegas | 2022-09-18 St. Louis 
    2022-09-20 OKC | 2023-08-31 St. Paul | 2023-09-02 St. Paul | **2024-05-16 Las Vegas** | **2024-05-18 Las Vegas** |