What is going on w/ the band/10C?

DischordVisionDischordVision SEAttle by way of WNY Posts: 532
edited July 2009 in The Porch
I hate to be the one to gripe since I'm just an ordinary person like the rest of the fans here but I think it's called for right now. What ever happened to the days when we got the WHOLE tour dates announced in 1 or 2 tweets/updates. As in the band's schedule for the rest of the year. I swear now we get 16 fuckin' tweets just to announce 2 shows or something. Do they schedule at the last second these days?...

Furthermore, I will bet anyone here that no other band makes their fans wait longer or gives them one new song on a late night talk show w/out releasing it that week? JUST A NEW SINGLE, THAT'S ALL!! You know, like when Worldwide Suicide/Unemployable was available on iTunes months before the last record. Yes, I know the Christmas singles count but they never play them live, for a reason I guess. Who knows? My hypothesis for the decline of PJ faults & 3 1/2 years in between new music? The guys are all parents now (x Jeff I think), getting older and I guarantee we'll less of big tours or new albums within 2-2 1/2 years apart... :cry:
U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Before the internet and internet leaks it was easier to keep all pertinent information in-house, then release it when it was ready.

Nowadays that is not possible.

And yes they are all family men now. That is just how life goes. No reason to be upset about it in my opinion.

I'm not the same as I was in 1994 and neither is my favorite band. No big deal. Just roll with it and enjoy the ride.

:)
  • DischordVisionDischordVision SEAttle by way of WNY Posts: 532
    you make good points, thanx for clueing me in. I guess I've just been reminiscing about the "good ol' days" about our favorite band...ah, gone but never forgotten :)
    U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    you make good points, thanx for clueing me in. I guess I've just been reminiscing about the "good ol' days" about our favorite band...ah, gone but never forgotten :)

the way i see it, there are plenty of good days left to come. 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    Christ,
    I rememeber having to make a collect call to seattle just to plug into the 10 club voicemail annoucements about the band's touring and releases..in 1994 and 1995...

QUIT YOR BITCHIN ALREADY..

We are the most lavished spoiled fans of all time...

by god..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • locked wrote:
    Christ,
    I rememeber having to make a collect call to seattle just to plug into the 10 club voicemail annoucements about the band's touring and releases..in 1994 and 1995...

by god..
    Christ is a 10c member? I wonder what his number is... Sorry, but you wrote it in a way that shows you are addressing a specific individual... vs. "Christ!" with angst in your voice... and it was signed "by god". That's so cool!!

Sorry, just made me laugh. Could be that you intended it this way, and if so, that's even funnier - carry on.
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    locked wrote:
    Christ,

by god..
    Christ is a 10c member? I wonder what his number is... Sorry, but you wrote it in a way that shows you are addressing a specific individual... vs. "Christ!" with angst in your voice... and it was signed "by god". That's so cool!!

Sorry, just made me laugh. Could be that you intended it this way, and if so, that's even funnier - carry on.
    I totally missed that... but I'd say if Christ is indeed a 10C member, he probably transcends Ten Club numbers.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    benjs wrote:
    locked wrote:
    Christ,

by god..

I totally missed that... but I'd say if Christ is indeed a 10C member, he probably transcends Ten Club numbers.
    I heard he let his membership lapse after hearing DTE.
  • dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 700
    ed just finished a solo tour... deals are being worked out with Target... finishing touches are being put on an album... more shows will be announced this week... Personally, I'm pretty excited. I'll also be seeing them in less than 2 months in chicago. They are the greatest rock band in the world.

as far as the kids thing goes.. Robert Plant was a father of two in Zeppelin's Prime.. remember that
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    edited July 2009
    Wilds wrote:
    Before the internet and internet leaks it was easier to keep all pertinent information in-house, then release it when it was ready.

And yes they are all family men now. That is just how life goes. No reason to be upset about it in my opinion.

I'm not the same as I was in 1994 and neither is my favorite band. No big deal. Just roll with it and enjoy the ride.

my opinion is the same with u but like for exable,,im from Greece..If the dont do it organize is too difficult to follow the band,,like now i organaize my travel to all 4 europe?and if the put out more near my country ill have to change plans,,last year they put out only usa,,i go to new york,,and what about after the put out europe?i travel in the other side of the planet with out know if i can see them in my yard..
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • AbuskedtiAbuskedti Posts: 1,917
    quote]
    I totally missed that... but I'd say if Christ is indeed a 10C member, he probably transcends Ten Club numbers.[/quote]

Christ's Jedi name might be: Chrje Mabet

his motto: Light Sabres are for pussies
    Wilds wrote:

my opinion is the same with u but like for exable,,im from Greece..If the dont do it organize is too difficult to follow the band,,like now i organaize my travel to all 4 europe?and if the put out more near my country ill have to change plans,,last year they put out only usa,,i go to new york,,and what about after the put out europe?i travel in the other side planet of the planet with out know if i can see them in my yard..

I do wish they would announce things earlier. I find that a rather legitimate gripe. Especially as they have a hard core following who needs time to make plans and travel.

I've adjusted my schedule to see them at the Outside Lands Festival. That is my only show currently scheduled for 2009.

Now if they actually tour the West Coast, I might have a tinge of regret for having engineered my work schedule to have me traveling to San Jose in August.

The OP seems reasonable and just a bit frustrated as we all get sometimes. I find that it is usually not worth letting the little stuff get to you. (Hell someone wrote a book called "Don't sweat the small stuff")

And everything associated with following a band should be considered 'small stuff', in the scheme of life.

I'm not directing this at the OP, but some people get upset about every little thing that doesn't go their way. Instead of just rolling with it, and adjusting accordingly. ALL things can be understood if you take out proper perspective.

Even the Ten clubs lack of communication and unusual recent policy of announcing dates in small bunches.

Here is the silver lining for me going to the OL Festival. A.) I've never seen Pearl Jam at a festival, so that will be interesting. B.) I'll get to check out some other bands, I normally would never have an opportunity to see. C.) I've scheduled a business trip, so my hotel, and flight will be paid for by my employer.

and for me the big one. D.) As this show is pre-album release, this mini Europe/Canada/USA run in August will perhaps have a different vibe than a post 'Backspacer' tour. (perhaps much like the unique and awesome 2008 East Coast mini tour)

If I get to see them both pre and post album drop, it will feel like seeing them on two totally different tours with different vibes.

Hell yeah! :mrgreen:
  • Wilds wrote:

I do wish they would announce things earlier. I find that a rather legitimate gripe. Especially as they have a hard core following who needs time to make plans and travel.

I've adjusted my schedule to see them at the Outside Lands Festival. That is my only show currently scheduled for 2009.

Now if they actually tour the West Coast, I might have a tinge of regret for having engineered my work schedule to have me traveling to San Jose in August.

Wilds - I like your perspective and outlook. Putting things in perspective is very good for the soul. Often times, it take a tragedy of some sort for people to really balance what is important and what is worth sweating - just my opinion based on my own personal experience.

In regards to the post I've quoted here, I think you've raised some really good points. My response is not being critical of your words or choices but kind of building on them to make my point.

If I know I can only afford to go to one show during the year, and they only announce one that is 2000 miles away, I may make some serious financial/life planning decisions to make that happen because I don't want to lose the opportunity of getting to see them and I don't know when they will tour again. So, if I make those plans, construct my life around those dates, etc. then they announce a month later that they will be playing 2 shows within 200 miles, that would be frustrating. I may have just spent a lot of money that I wouldn't have had to if I knew at the time they would be playing so close a few months later.

That makes me think of a few thoughts for further ponderance. If we make our decisions and are truly "ok" with those decisions, there should be no regret (of course this is the ideal :) ) If I tell myself I can only go to one show and the show they announce is 2000 miles away.. I can choose to go for it with the understanding that I have no idea what will happen in the future, or I can hold out and let go of the far away trip in hopes they will come more near... I've used that many times and have, of course, gone years at a time without seeing PJ in concert... but it all depends on what you are ok with. I don't like the drought by any means... but I obviously survived.

So hearing about the Philly shows has made me really think about this a lot. Ok, so Philly is not close to me, but neither is Texas or Austrailia. Philly is closer (i've not checked the map so don't jump on this if I'm wrong!). If the announcement this week only reveals those 3 expected cities, do I jump on Philly or do I hold out in hopes for a show in the midwest later? Personally, I'm hoping a lot of people jump on Philly and then don't have money/time left to attend later annonced shows - then I might get good seats :mrgreen:
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Anyone remember the days before then internet when you wouldn't hear about a tour until you heard your local show announced on the radio back in the early, mid-90s?

We are definitely spoiled now.
  • Anyone remember the days before then internet when you wouldn't hear about a tour until you heard your local show announced on the radio back in the early, mid-90s?

Yes I do. Keep in mind though that the radio announcement would come out in April for tickets going on sale in June for a tour starting in August :D

We are really lucky fans to be able to continue to hear new music from our favorite band.. how many years now? 8-)
    Anyone remember the days before then internet when you wouldn't hear about a tour until you heard your local show announced on the radio back in the early, mid-90s?

and we like it..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Mcam55Mcam55 Posts: 1,407
    Furthermore, I will bet anyone here that no other band makes their fans wait longer or gives them one new song on a late night talk show w/out releasing it that week? JUST A NEW SINGLE, THAT'S ALL!! You know, like when Worldwide Suicide/Unemployable was available on iTunes months before the last record. Yes, I know the Christmas singles count but they never play them live, for a reason I guess. Who knows? My hypothesis for the decline of PJ faults & 3 1/2 years in between new music? The guys are all parents now (x Jeff I think), getting older and I guarantee we'll less of big tours or new albums within 2-2 1/2 years apart... :cry:

I dont know what your talking about in regards to the single.

WWS was released 50 days before "Pearl Jam"

The Fixer is being released 64 days before "Backspacer"

So were actually geting the single 2 weeks earlier than we did last album

and Modest Mouse played a new song on Letterman earlier this year a few months before they released it....Pearl Jam wasnt gonna pass up a chance to play on the debut of the tonight show with Conan because the first single wasnt ready.
    we want all..our way...just kidding,,,WE WANT ALL NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • CobCob Posts: 857
    Okay, I have been busy lately so I am kind of clueless here, but have they announced shows in Philly and I just don't know about it, I have heard the rumors for a while now. I'm not being a smart ass, I really am clueless at this point, the OP kind of has a point but most times on this forum you can't even point out obvious things about 10 C, or Pearl Jam without just getting dumped on with the "stop your whining" "stop your bitching" basically just drink the kool aid.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Pearl Jam and they are one of my favorite bands of all time, sometimes it gets very frustrating. I am 40 years old and have been going to concerts (about 550-600 in my life) since 1981, just announce the tour dates already or at least say these are the areas we plan on playing around these dates but are still trying to work out the logistics. I saw Grateful Dead about 170 times and they would announce Spring, summer and fall tour every year and say these are the dates and these are the dates you can start sending mail order for tickets, not rocket science! I just saw Phish 3 shows in the midwest in June, they announced the dates and said you can send your request in until this date, again not rocket science by any means.

But sometimes with Pearl Jam it's like they are holding some type of government FBI or CIA secret that can't be leaked. Sorry guys it's 2009, trying to keep anything a secret in this day and age is almost impossible, they are already playing in Austin for ACL so I am going to that. But if they are planning on playing somewhere else (West Coast) I sure would like to know so I can call my friends and make arrangements to stay with them, but until then I will just have to wait for the top secret disc or envelope to arrive somewhere before the top secret dates will be released. And all the "stop your whining" "stop your bitching" post that are coming save it, don't waste your time, these are just my opinions, if you don't agree with them, so be it.
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

Mcam55 wrote:

I dont know what your talking about in regards to the single.

WWS was released 50 days before "Pearl Jam"

The Fixer is being released 64 days before "Backspacer"

So were actually geting the single 2 weeks earlier than we did last album

and Modest Mouse played a new song on Letterman earlier this year a few months before they released it....Pearl Jam wasnt gonna pass up a chance to play on the debut of the tonight show with Conan because the first single wasnt ready.
    September 22nd is just a tentative release date.. there's thoughts the album may drop a few weeks, maybe a month earlier.
    Is everyone assuming they are doing a full blown tour this year?

Who's to say you won't hear ALL the official 2010 tour summer dates in December or something?
  • Is everyone assuming they are doing a full blown tour this year?

Who's to say you won't hear ALL the official 2010 tour summer dates in December or something?
    There was an interview with Ed in Marcy/April 2009 mentioning that someone (Mike?) is having a baby in 2010 so they would have to tour this year.

There was an interview with Ed in Marcy/April 2009 mentioning that someone (Mike?) is having a baby in 2010 so they would have to tour this year.
    Well maybe the baby thing sort of happened unexpectedly and they are scrambling to get shows together has they can and that's why we are getting sort notice in waves.. better that than nothing.

Am I the only diehard here happy with going to one or two shows a tour?
  • Is everyone assuming they are doing a full blown tour this year?

Well maybe the baby thing sort of happened unexpectedly and they are scrambling to get shows together has they can and that's why we are getting sort notice in waves.. better that than nothing.

Am I the only diehard here happy with going to one or two shows a tour?
    of course, I'd be happy to babysit if that's the scheduling problem :D

I'm happy to go to one and would love two shows.. I'm also still interested in a 10c ticket for 8/23 if you have one :P
    of course, I'd be happy to babysit if that's the scheduling problem :D

I'm happy to go to one and would love two shows.. I'm also still interested in a 10c ticket for 8/23 if you have one :P
    I have a ticket for 8/23, but its most likely going to my best friend.. he's a casual fan now, but got me into the band way back when.. if something comes up and he can't go, I'll keep you in mind.
    Cob wrote:
    Okay, I have been busy lately so I am kind of clueless here, but have they announced shows in Philly and I just don't know about it, I have heard the rumors for a while now. I'm not being a smart ass, I really am clueless at this point, the OP kind of has a point but most times on this forum you can't even point out obvious things about 10 C, or Pearl Jam without just getting dumped on with the "stop your whining" "stop your bitching" basically just drink the kool aid.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Pearl Jam and they are one of my favorite bands of all time, sometimes it gets very frustrating. I am 40 years old and have been going to concerts (about 550-600 in my life) since 1981, just announce the tour dates already or at least say these are the areas we plan on playing around these dates but are still trying to work out the logistics. I saw Grateful Dead about 170 times and they would announce Spring, summer and fall tour every year and say these are the dates and these are the dates you can start sending mail order for tickets, not rocket science! I just saw Phish 3 shows in the midwest in June, they announced the dates and said you can send your request in until this date, again not rocket science by any means.

But sometimes with Pearl Jam it's like they are holding some type of government FBI or CIA secret that can't be leaked. Sorry guys it's 2009, trying to keep anything a secret in this day and age is almost impossible, they are already playing in Austin for ACL so I am going to that. But if they are planning on playing somewhere else (West Coast) I sure would like to know so I can call my friends and make arrangements to stay with them, but until then I will just have to wait for the top secret disc or envelope to arrive somewhere before the top secret dates will be released. And all the "stop your whining" "stop your bitching" post that are coming save it, don't waste your time, these are just my opinions, if you don't agree with them, so be it.

The cheese steak reference is the only official word we have about Philly, but with that you can take all those other rumors to the bank IMO.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102373
    Wilds wrote:

Wilds - I like your perspective and outlook. Putting things in perspective is very good for the soul. Often times, it take a tragedy of some sort for people to really balance what is important and what is worth sweating - just my opinion based on my own personal experience.

In regards to the post I've quoted here, I think you've raised some really good points. My response is not being critical of your words or choices but kind of building on them to make my point.

If I know I can only afford to go to one show during the year, and they only announce one that is 2000 miles away, I may make some serious financial/life planning decisions to make that happen because I don't want to lose the opportunity of getting to see them and I don't know when they will tour again. So, if I make those plans, construct my life around those dates, etc. then they announce a month later that they will be playing 2 shows within 200 miles, that would be frustrating. I may have just spent a lot of money that I wouldn't have had to if I knew at the time they would be playing so close a few months later.

That makes me think of a few thoughts for further ponderance. If we make our decisions and are truly "ok" with those decisions, there should be no regret (of course this is the ideal :) ) If I tell myself I can only go to one show and the show they announce is 2000 miles away.. I can choose to go for it with the understanding that I have no idea what will happen in the future, or I can hold out and let go of the far away trip in hopes they will come more near... I've used that many times and have, of course, gone years at a time without seeing PJ in concert... but it all depends on what you are ok with. I don't like the drought by any means... but I obviously survived.

So hearing about the Philly shows has made me really think about this a lot. Ok, so Philly is not close to me, but neither is Texas or Austrailia. Philly is closer (i've not checked the map so don't jump on this if I'm wrong!). If the announcement this week only reveals those 3 expected cities, do I jump on Philly or do I hold out in hopes for a show in the midwest later? Personally, I'm hoping a lot of people jump on Philly and then don't have money/time left to attend later annonced shows - then I might get good seats :mrgreen:

All good points. Certainly someones proximity to area's where they normally play, has more options.

Once travel time/distance and cost become higher, I can absolutely see being upset about committing to a long distance show, then having one announced in your back yard.

My situation in this case would really be the best of both worlds......

Each case is unique.

2010 we have south america...and im in all way from Greece too.. ;) :shock:

yes ,but i suppose his wife will carry the child ,no?

yes ,but i suppose his wife will carry the child ,no?
    I would think they could afford baby sitters.. a tour would just be a few months. Maybe traveling is harder on the baby? I would think everything could be catered to. Oh well.
  • hollyster70hollyster70 Posts: 228
    Yeah, but seriously...what parent would want to have their memories of the child's first months to be on tour buses and in dressing rooms. Not I.
    Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle