irritating new community board - agree?

2»

Comments

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    The OLD board was 100% better then this board.

Yup. I pretty much stopped posting once we moved to this place. I still lurk very briefly every day, but no longer have any desire to hang out here.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    The OLD board was 100% better then this board.
    it was better cause it was FREE. this isn't a community its an elitist club for 10c members only. forums.pearljam.com was a community board. you hardly see any of the regulars from the old board. now any fan with a 10c membership can post and mostly its just whining or complaining bout the band and all. the threads on here(the porch) and the aet just flat out suck.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    One of my biggest pet peeves is when people write vague/misleading subject titles. Like "PJ playing the Spectrum!" and I get my hopes all up. Then you click inside and it's "Do you think PJ will play the Spectrum?"... Man that's annoying! Yes, please bring back the Hover feature

some people forget that dr evil's dad invented the question mark for a reason. it is quite aggravating
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • gibbitsgibbits Posts: 500
    That feature isn't available w/ this software... I believe this is Joomla... there may be a plug in that does it but out of the box it doesn't have the capabilities.

On a side note, we were really spoiled w/ that feature, it's not really common to see that on BBS's.

This is drupal, but you were close!

As far as the complainers - I'm sure if you wrote a PHP extension for the boards to incorporate this feature and provided a demo they might consider it.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    I BrisK I wrote:
    dreamcode wrote:
    In the former version of "The Porch" you were able to put your cursor over a topic name and it revealed the starting topic with its entire text which was good for sorting out wether or not you would spend more time on topics who often didn´t make sense standing alone (like mine for example).

Why has Ten Club "closed" this feature? Is it not possible with the "new" layout"?

Am I the only one who want this feautre back?

Thank the bloody lord someone pointed this out.

Have a beer on me.
    +1
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    Byrnzie wrote:
    It would also be handy to be able to access yours, and others', list of posts and created threads. The old board had this function, this one just allows you to see all of your own posts.

And while we are all lodging our complaints.... I hate that I can't look up a member, along with seeing their posts. There are some peeps from the old board that I was wanting to contact, but when I try to look them up, I'm BANNED! :roll:
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    I can agree with this one
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    edited June 2009
    That feature isn't available w/ this software... I believe this is Joomla... there may be a plug in that does it but out of the box it doesn't have the capabilities.

On a side note, we were really spoiled w/ that feature, it's not really common to see that on BBS's.
    No, it's not Joomla! It's Drupal - check page source:
    "jQuery.extend(Drupal.settings, { "basePath": "/", "googleanalytics": ..."

I miss this add-in too...

UPSSSS... Sorry, my mistake. The main site is in Drupal, but the forum is in phpBB. Message Pit was in vBulletin...
    Post edited by halszka123 on
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
    weenie wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    It would also be handy to be able to access yours, and others', list of posts and created threads. The old board had this function, this one just allows you to see all of your own posts.

And while we are all lodging our complaints.... I hate that I can't look up a member, along with seeing their posts. There are some peeps from the old board that I was wanting to contact, but when I try to look them up, I'm BANNED! :roll:
    Yes, it's little depressing
    halszka123@op.pl
  • The former bulletin board software was the popular and very commercially expensive [url=htp://www.vbulletin.com]vBulletin[/url]. It has tons of features but was bloated for large community use. They now are running on the the most popular and open source and free phpBB bulletin board software. phpBB is not that bloated and has standard bulletin board features but nothing like vBulletin. phpBB is made to handle larger communities in a optimized way. So it's not ha he feature is Turned OFF. It is not a feature at all now.
  • halszka123 wrote:

No, it's not Joomla! It's Drupal - check page source:
    "jQuery.extend(Drupal.settings, { "basePath": "/", "googleanalytics": ..."

I miss this add-in too...

UPSSSS... Sorry, my mistake. The main site is in Drupal, but the forum is in phpBB. Message Pit was in vBulletin...

Correct, Drupal has a bridge script to connect it and phpBB. Drupal is a CMS aka Content Management System.
  • gibbits wrote:

This is drupal, but you were close!

As far as the complainers - I'm sure if you wrote a PHP extension for the boards to incorporate this feature and provided a demo they might consider it.

phpBB doesn't support extensions as of yet (It has a utilized hook system in place). A modification is required.
    The former bulletin board software was the popular and very commercially expensive [url=htp://www.vbulletin.com]vBulletin[/url]. It has tons of features but was bloated for large community use. They now are running on the the most popular and open source and free phpBB bulletin board software. phpBB is not that bloated and has standard bulletin board features but nothing like vBulletin. phpBB is made to handle larger communities in a optimized way. So it's not ha he feature is Turned OFF. It is not a feature at all now.
    Am i right?- phpBB modified by Przemo is larger and with more extensions. I know in the application EXISTS an extension to display posts - first and the last in a topic;)
    halszka123@op.pl
  • halszka123 wrote:
    The former bulletin board software was the popular and very commercially expensive [url=htp://www.vbulletin.com]vBulletin[/url]. It has tons of features but was bloated for large community use. They now are running on the the most popular and open source and free phpBB bulletin board software. phpBB is not that bloated and has standard bulletin board features but nothing like vBulletin. phpBB is made to handle larger communities in a optimized way. So it's not ha he feature is Turned OFF. It is not a feature at all now.
    Am i right?- phpBB modified by Przemo is larger and with more extensions. I know in the application EXISTS an extension to display posts - first and the last in a topic;)

phpBB modified by Przemo based on phpBB 2.0.X script and not official. the 2.0.x branch was retired officially and is unsecure. This site uses phpB 3.0.x which is more stable and secure let alone more optimized and to current coding standards. phpB doesn't have an extension system at current. They are called modifications or MODS.
    Sure, You are right. Not extensions only mods.
    And because i don't know these things, only being curious ;) I just read n Przemo web site, he has 15-20% of phpBB3 modification...
    Thanks again for answer. I really like to know some stuff of IT
    halszka123@op.pl
  • halszka123 wrote:
    Sure, You are right. Not extensions only mods.
    And because i don't know these things, only being curious ;) I just read n Przemo web site, he has 15-20% of phpBB3 modification...
    Thanks again for answer. I really like to know some stuff of IT

Doesn't pertain to this forum at all. 8-)
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Thanks so much John for your explanations. It helps just to know a little about it for us non tech people. Do you foresee any of these missed features becoming available in the future? :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • wolfbear wrote:
    Thanks so much John for your explanations. It helps just to know a little about it for us non tech people. Do you foresee any of these missed features becoming available in the future? :)

That's completely up to TenC's tech staff.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    The old board seemed to have many perks that this one lacks but I guess they are still working out the kinks :lol:

agreed!
    i do hope, sometime, we do get some/most/all of em back? :mrgreen:

and yes....an innocuous background choice!
    8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    I kinda like the new board. But yes, there needs a few upgrades.
    The signature doesn't work, the ignore button doesn't work, and the free candy machine doesn't work! :|

demetrios