Options

Overpay or skip the show?

blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
edited June 2009 in The Porch
From today's letter from Bob Lefsetz ... this applies to PJ fans, too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What's worse, overpaying to be inside the building or not being able to go to the show at all?

I've got no desire to get involved in the pissing match between Ticketmaster and Springsteen, but I will say, as per usual, the fan is the loser.

Jon Landau's defense that it's standard industry practice to hold back tickets in major markets although true, is evidence of a greater concern. THAT YOU JUST CAN'T GET A GREAT SEAT UNLESS YOU BUY FROM A SCALPER!

I don't care if there were seats available on the floor, Jon Landau does not dispute that 1,126 tickets in sections close to the stage were held back from the initial on sale. They don't hold the bad seats, they hold the good ones. And although I believe that Bruce did not scalp his own tickets, if you don't think a large quantity of these held back tickets were sold for way above face value, you probably think Metallica believes all music should be free and that Madonna has got the voice of an angel.

We've trained the audience to go to scalpers. A scalper offers a specific seat, which you can pay an appropriate amount for, based on surfing the Net for available ducats. You don't have to wake up early on a Saturday, you don't have to buy close to the on sale date at all. In other words, on sale is for suckers.

And the company taking the heat is Ticketmaster. Ticketmaster makes available what it is told to, not what it decides independently. The percentage of great seats that are truly available is a fraction of those in the building. Promoters resell, season ticket holders resell, the building resells... It's who you know. It's not an issue of being abused by Ticketmaster.

As for Ticketmaster directing surfers to their TicketsNow site for scalped tickets, that is heinous. Especially if seats are still available. Then again, are you truly telling me that Bruce Springsteen fans are so stupid as to be unable to tell that multi-thousand dollar seats are being sold by scalpers as opposed to the Boss himself? This makes no sense, that a literary man would have such a dumb audience.

And speaking of dumb audiences... It's a minority that's truly bitching. Because everybody else knows the facts of life. You just can't get a good seat unless you overpay.

I'm not sure why Mr. Landau waded into this, made it such a cause celebre that Ticketmaster had screwed up. Did he truly believe his house was in order to such an extent that he and the Boss were unimpeachable? We live in the Internet era, there is no privacy, the truth outs.

So the Boss, just like Ticketmaster, does not have clean hands in this situation. And we've got a public that sees music as a once a year event, that you overpay for, since you want to be in the building, and if you're bothering to go, you want to be close.

As for checking out a new band? Why? Even if the listed value of the ticket is cheap, the final price will not be. Fees can double the cost. Primarily because the promoter has been squeezed to such an extent that he takes all the risk and has very little upside. You may hate Live Nation, but I ask you, if the company disappears, WHO IS GOING TO PAY THESE ACTS THESE MONSTROUS SUMS?

AEG will overpay for superstars. Mid-level stars and developing acts?

Ticketmaster is a front for the artists. The service should not help performers scalp their own tickets, it should try and get all-in ticketing. But Ticketmaster is not in control! To say Ticketmaster runs the music business is akin to saying your local car dealership was responsible for the failure of GM. Your local dealer may have a flawed operation, but the Detroit company's bankruptcy was caused by ineptitude at the very top. Just like the music business.

All-in ticketing must be the norm, not the exception. And make no mistake, it's not Ticketmaster that's against all-in, but the acts. They don't want to appear greedy by charging high prices! They'd rather Ticketmaster take the heat.

Promoters must be able to make money. Deals cannot be predicated on selling out and the promoter profiting on merch and refreshments. You know why promoters steal? Because the acts make them!

There should be a public manifest for every show, detailing exactly what seats are available. Which ones have sold already, which ones were never for sale! It's not like this is difficult technologically, it's just that the industry wants to operate on smoke and mirrors, thinking the public is stupid.

But it's not.

The public knows that superstars are all about the money. And that their handlers are equally greedy, willing to soak fans dry in order to maintain their lifestyle.

Instead of pointing fingers, we've got to work together, to entice the public to both trust us and experiment with new music. A concert should not be an assault, like flying coach, but something more akin to business class, even if the gig is sold out.

If Springsteen truly wanted to help, he'd initiate some of the changes delineated above. Reveal more information and let the public decide. But now Bruce's hands are stained too.

As for the press that beat up Ticketmaster and then failed to report this "Star-Ledger" story... Ain't that America. It was sexy when fans were irate, whipped into a mob by Springsteen's camp, but when the heat was off, the press didn't care.

Or maybe it's just that the press is afraid of attacking the Boss.

The Boss tries. He admits mistakes.

He made one here. Of yelling at Ticketmaster when his own house was not in order.

Ticketmaster needs to divorce itself from all scalpers.

And Springsteen needs to use his power to clean up this business. That's what a leader does. Not shrug and say this is the way it's always been and I've got no choice, but make the hard choices and promise he'll conduct himself in a better way, illustrating to others that it can be done.

"Star-Ledger" story: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/0 ... _tick.html

Jon Landau's response: http://www.brucespringsteen.net/news/index.html
--
Visit the archive: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/
"Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is the best."
~ FZ ~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,785
    It depends the show (and your financial situation of course)... I paid a ridiculous amount of money to see PJ at the Borgata Night 2 (more than I care to state here). I figured, when would I ever get to see this band in such a small venue with GA as they were playing only seated venues for quite a while after Roskilde. It was totally worth it. Eddie had to remind us that it wasn't '92, and that we shouldn't go nutzo and mosh. We didn't, but the crowd still moved quite a bit, which is something that had been missing at the seated PJ shows since 2000. The set was great, Ace Frehley joined them on RITFW, they played Bee Girl, which was cool. That one was worth it.
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,847
    good story, unfortunatley I doubt any of this is going to change any time soon...
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    I know it's not going to change, I just thought the article was interesting. I've never had the connections other people have to get good seats and have relied on fan clubs to get me in to the few really sought-after shows I've been to. I've missed more than I've actually seen, and often it hasn't even been a question of demanding great seats, but just wanting to be in the house. I've gotten more joy in the past few years from small indie shows that cost a whole lot less than the face value on these big shows. We're not wealthy and for me the show starts to lose some of its shine when the tickets start in the triple digits. I won't touch anything sold by a scalper as a matter of principle. The band's not going to miss me if I don't overspend. I admire the artists who at least try to acknowledge the loyalty of their fans. It's nice that they care.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,281
    I won't over pay at all i'd rather not go and really the only shows i attend these days is for PJ i have no interest in no others, i did attend THE DEAD out of curiosity but that's about it and if i can't get tickets thru 10C i won't pay a scalper or ticket broker i just won't ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    I've never paid above face (inc regular fees obviously) for a ticket. ever.
    and I'm not ready to start to any day soon. including for PJ.

Tickets are expensive enough as it is!
  • Options
    quelquefoisquelquefois Posts: 208
    I won't over pay at all i'd rather not go and really the only shows i attend these days is for PJ i have no interest in no others, i did attend THE DEAD out of curiosity but that's about it and if i can't get tickets thru 10C i won't pay a scalper or ticket broker i just won't ....

yes. maybe i'm foolish, but i would rather not go to the show than pay a scalper. i just won't do it.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    very interesting article...thanks for posting.

i'll tell ya, i've learned more about TM, the ticketing process, how to try and get good seats, etc, since i've been a member here than ever before. i throw back tix with abandon until i get something decent, or not at all. i won't pay scalper prices b/c they are truly insane nowadays. i remember way back when for live aid my sister got us tix for $100 each and that was crazy for then. now with tix hovering right below or way above that price initially, i cannot even imagine the crazy insane scalping costs. add in the fear factor of purchasing a fake ticket, and i say no thanks. also makes me that much more grateful for all the tickets i've gotten thru 10c. it's sad really, but the costs of tix being what they are, pj is really the only 'sure thing' i definitely buy whenever i can, other acts i weigh carefully if i will purchase or not, and more and more often...it is not.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,149
    great..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    icemanapicemanap Posts: 406
    What the organisers at Glastonbury Festival did was get ticketers to submit a photo when they bought their ticket. This photo was then printed on the ticket. A simple idea which may cut out scalpers but, the cost of which will no doubt be thrown down to the consumer.
    Another thing is that the ticket companys should have strict methods in place for loads of tickets being distributed in the same addresses. We know scalpers use the same credit cards, but the majority must be delivered to the same address.
    :D Rock on!!!! :D
    Seen Pearl Jam 4 times in London, once in Manchester, as well as an Eddie show at Hammersmith.
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    some people will pay scalpers. i won't.

me, i'm happy just being in the venue, and almost always i can get at least 1 ticket

there are ways to shut scalpers out and it's a shame those ways are not used more by artists, including pearl jam

for every BIG show, the up front section, should have a 2 ticket min with will call day of the show only, as the option...if they did that ALONE the world would be a better place for music fans
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,635
    Overpay - especially for good seats. Miss the days when some PJ shows weren't 10c (usally the 2nd in the same city) where a few bucks gets you close or front row.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    breath123breath123 Posts: 397
    I don't see anything wrong with scalping as long as initial access is fair (obviously)

I love going to stubhub when they're in unload mode and see if I can get a real deal.

10% over face to me ain't a big deal. 20% if it's a great show.

most sporting events, I can get in under face.

thank you 10c!
  • Options
    icemanapicemanap Posts: 406
    emptyglass wrote:

for every BIG show, the up front section, should have a 2 ticket min with will call day of the show only, as the option...if they did that ALONE the world would be a better place for music fans

Completely agree. Although that could cause chaos and perhaps miss out on valuable drinking time - if the box offices opened a few hours earlier it could help. I don't think there's a way around scalpers. I have never bought off one as the gigs I want to go to I can usually get a ticket by playing the 9am refresh lottery. It's a real shame though that real fans get priced out of concerts and the only real winners are the scalpers.
    :D Rock on!!!! :D
    Seen Pearl Jam 4 times in London, once in Manchester, as well as an Eddie show at Hammersmith.