Are you a helpful person?

flyinwhole313flyinwhole313 Posts: 1,651
edited July 2009 in The Porch
www.yellowribbonclub.org

This is the organization Ed was talking about at the Tower Theater a few nights ago. It seems like a good cause, so go make a Paypal donation...even a few dollars will help. Check it out!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• flyinwhole313flyinwhole313 Posts: 1,651
    Bump.
    Bump
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    better believe it! :)
    i'll see what i can come up with soon!

D
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,040
    wow, thanks guys...the last week has been so powerful, so beautiful. The moms and dads of the YRC have been grinning ear to ear all week and troops from all over are now so excited that they are getting support from Pearl Jam and you, the fans. Keep up the good work and keep paying it forward. It only makes the world better...and all of this because of such a powerful force in this universe; Pearl Jam!!
    Bump.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Bump.
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    PEACE ,LOVE AND PEARL JAM
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    PEACE ,LOVE AND PEARL JAM

thumbsup.gif
  • Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,812
    wow, thanks guys...the last week has been so powerful, so beautiful. The moms and dads of the YRC have been grinning ear to ear all week and troops from all over are now so excited that they are getting support from Pearl Jam and you, the fans. Keep up the good work and keep paying it forward. It only makes the world better...and all of this because of such a powerful force in this universe; Pearl Jam!!

:)
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    Bump
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
    Bump
    Bump
    demetrios wrote:

That is not the same organization Ed spoke of, but it looks to be another of the same type.

I had a conversation with a woman from Florida over the weekend who has business dealings in New Orleans, and she raised my concern with her strong sentiments that things are FAR from "back to normal" down there, and the people are getting no assistance from the GOVT. I am curious if anyone knows of a GOOD foundation that is making significant strides to help the people down there? I can Google search for this myself, but if anyone knows of something, please let me know. Thanks!
    demetrios wrote:

That is not the same organization Ed spoke of, but it looks to be another of the same type.

I had a conversation with a woman from Florida over the weekend who has business dealings in New Orleans, and she raised my concern with her strong sentiments that things are FAR from "back to normal" down there, and the people are getting no assistance from the GOVT. I am curious if anyone knows of a GOOD foundation that is making significant strides to help the people down there? I can Google search for this myself, but if anyone knows of something, please let me know. Thanks!

I tried the link up top, but it's not working. Though it's all support for the Yellow Ribbon. :)

demetrios
    demetrios wrote:
    I tried the link up top, but it's not working. Though it's all support for the Yellow Ribbon. :)

demetrios

AGREED. STRANGE...that site is down???
  • hollyster70hollyster70 Posts: 228
    You would be correct in that assumption regarding New Orleans. A friend's teenager just returned from there working with a habitat for humanity group. She said that other than the tourist areas, N.O. resembles a war zone. There are people that have been living in tents/campers/lean-tos for YEARS. They are getting no help from the GOVT and are too poor to pick up & leave. What's nauseating is that the GOVT has billions of ear marked money that they won't release to help these people...OUR people.

http://www.habitat.org/gulfrecoveryeffort/
    Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle
  • hollyster70hollyster70 Posts: 228
    Sorry to hijack the tread...just wanted to back up my statement. Do what you will with the info.

By Susie Madrak Monday Feb 09, 2009

WASHINGTON — A massive effort to fix public works destroyed more than three years ago by the Gulf Coast hurricanes remains largely stalled, leaving more than $3.9 billion in federal aid unspent and key repairs far from complete.

The scale of that job is enormous. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has promised $5.8 billion to repair everything from flooded libraries and schools to sewer systems and roads that were ruined when Hurricanes Katrina and Rita obliterated huge sections of coastal Louisiana and Mississippi in 2005.

Nearly 3½ years after those storms hit, new FEMA accounting reports show two-thirds of the money to pay for permanent rebuilding work still has not been spent, the latest bottleneck in a recovery long beset by criticism that it has been too slow and inefficient. And despite a handful of high-profile successes, officials who had vowed to speed up the pace of repairs concede it is still going far more slowly than it should.

"I think it can go better. That's almost obvious," says James Stark, who runs FEMA's recovery effort in the region. "Public safety, health and education are critical. That's not proceeding as quickly as I think many people in southeast Louisiana would want." Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano has ordered the agency to take a "fresh look" at those roadblocks. Its first report is due Tuesday.
    Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle
    demetrios wrote:

demetrios

AGREED. STRANGE...that site is down???

Thanks for the head's up Ralph and D. I just emailed the YRC webmaster and hope he figures it out. I was with the YRC last night for an honoring of the troops before my hometown's fireworks and it was a humbling and tearful experience. I got goosebumps going up to various soldiers and thanking them and their families for the sacrifices they are making day in and day out. It was awesome seeing their families together, walking around enjoying freedom that so many of us do daily and take for granted.
    www.yellowribbonclub.org is back up and working for those who were PM'ing me earlier...