Options

PJ made me go to bonnaroo

megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
edited June 2009 in The Porch
i hadn't seen pj before so when b-roo was announced i jumped on it.(not knowing the 2 fla shows TBA after)

turned out to be one great week.

for those who went this year and the last..how do they two weeks compare with each other.

i didn't care to travel for phish and the big boss man
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BanjoBanjo Posts: 272
    Ed made me skip Bonnaroo. I had to miss PJ at 'roo last year so I was super excited when my 2nd and 3rd fav bands were at 'roo this year (Bruce and Beasties). Then Ed had to schedule Philly and Baltimore for the same weekend...
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    Banjo wrote:
    Ed made me skip Bonnaroo. I had to miss PJ at 'roo last year so I was super excited when my 2nd and 3rd fav bands were at 'roo this year (Bruce and Beasties). Then Ed had to schedule Philly and Baltimore for the same weekend...

yea kinda the same deal here. doin the ed shows and some pj instead of spending all my time at b-roo
  • Options
    PJ was also the main reason I went to the Roo last year but after that experience I knew I would try my best to never miss another. This year was just as awesome for me, minus PJ. I had just as much fun and got just as wild.
    For those who have never been to Bonnaroo, it is an experience like no other. Bruce was good, Beastie was awesome, Phish was ok. Ben Harper and the new group rocked (although I'm having a hard time adapting to his new sound). Public Enemy completely WOW'ed me. There we're plenty of other awesome shows. Every time I go to Bonnaroo it is one of the best weekends of my life. If only PJ we're there everytime it would be monumental. My opinion
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    Roo was incredible last year- really wished I could had gone this year again, but it was just too much money.

Here some some sweet photos from this past year's Roo that you might want to check out:

http://www.pollstar.com/blogs/news/arch ... 72898.aspx

"Public Enemy played their entire “It Takes A Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back” album." :shock: :shock: How mad ass would this had been!!!!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    2nd Bonnaroo here...

Both Roos were great but in different ways. My main priority last year was to get close for PJ. This somewhat overshadowed the rest of the fest, but it was worth it.

This year was great because it was filled with so many highlights that really didn't over shadow each other. Some of these include.
    - Phish on Friday night was sweet. This was my first Phish show. I think it was my second favorite concert experience ever.
    - I was fifth row for Bruce. Wow that man has great energy. Also, my first time seeing Bruce.
    - First row for Patterson Hood's & moe.'s Sonic Stage sets.
    - Gov't Mule playing Southern Man with Grace Potter was sick.
    - Watching the sun come up with moe. Sat night/ Sun morning was unforgetable.
    - After having my face melted by Phish Friday night, it was nice to sit in a field and listen to Buffet the following "morning." Not a huge Buffet fan, but it was great timing.
    - Kicking off Sunday with a great punk show was also sweet. Cage the Elephant was alot of fun.
    - Bruce playing with Phish was definitely the main highlight of Sunday.

Some disappointments were...

-Beastie Boys= Bad
    -Snoop=Blah
    -Sat. late night conflict. I went moe.>MGMT>moe. I saw some NIN on the way over to MGMT, but really nothing that I knew. So I wish I could had seen more NIN.
    -I wish that they had a non electronic option Friday after Phish.
    - I really wanted to see Band of Horses and the Decemberists, but I decided to head over to the What Stage to get a spot for Bruce and Phish. Oh well.

In all, Roo was still cool without PJ. I'll probably make it 3 years in a row next year.
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    hitmanhitman Posts: 469
    i went to the 'ROO a couple or 3 years ago to see the Mars Volta and the Word.... i ended up discovering Jon Butler (met him at the airport!) and Will Hoge, two of my favorite "new" bands i have gotten into over the last 5 years.... i recommend the experience for anyone, if you can camp for 3 days and go without a real shower.... i really had a blast and met a ton of great people... a ton of fun and they really did a great job of making the whole thing work....
  • Options
    PJBuckeye wrote:

-Beastie Boys= Bad
    please elaborate on this Buckeye- why were they so bad?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,637
    Apparently attendence was up a good bit this year from last.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    FYI... I thought the Beastie Boys were AWESOME!!! Not to mention Nas guest performed two songs with them (Any fans of Hip Hop know thats a treat)
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    LukinFan wrote:
    PJBuckeye wrote:

-Beastie Boys= Bad
    please elaborate on this Buckeye- why were they so bad?

I really couldn't get into them. I'm not a huge BB guy; I'm not a BB hater either. I just wasn't feeling it. The energy level was blah. I think their act is a little dated. I don't think their music is timeless. If you are going to roll out a 90's band, the music should be of band that is timeless (ie Pearl Jam, RHCP).

FYI
    TREAT = BRUCE WITH PHISH

The best hip hop I saw on the farm was MURS.
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    Pearl SamPearl Sam Posts: 88
    Banjo wrote:
    I was super excited when my 2nd and 3rd fav bands were at 'roo this year (Bruce and Beasties).

I don't intend for this to sound ass-holeish.

The combination of Bruce and the Beasties as your 2nd and 3rd favorites is down right odd. We are all unique, of course, and so you may be the only person on the planet that has PJ, Bruce and the Beasties in that order. What a difference musically!

I have always found it surprising that so many PJ fans have such love for Bruce. I certainly respect Bruce as a musician, but in no way would I buy a record. I've never dug his music, never will - not even "Nebraska". I suppose Ed having so much love for Bruce and the obvious Bruce influence in recent PJ songs (Gone, Thumbing) have contributed to this. But, sorry Ed, your love for Bruce has nothing to do with my lackthereof. In my opinion, while I do respect Bruce as a musician, he is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated. Sorry, but I just hate the self-indulging Jersey sound. Very "Americana" but this is not for me.
  • Options
    SteveoSteveo Posts: 352
    BH71937 wrote:
    i went to the 'ROO a couple or 3 years ago to see the Mars Volta and the Word.... i ended up discovering Jon Butler (met him at the airport!) and Will Hoge, two of my favorite "new" bands i have gotten into over the last 5 years.... i recommend the experience for anyone, if you can camp for 3 days and go without a real shower.... i really had a blast and met a ton of great people... a ton of fun and they really did a great job of making the whole thing work....

I was at that one & thought it was cool. Allman Bros, TMV. I did think it was a little much (travel, expenses, 80,000 heads), and I said I would go back only if Pearl Jam was the headliner.

Last year Fn Rocked.
    Life has nothing to do with killing time.
    So why be satisfied?
  • Options
    sgtppr67sgtppr67 Posts: 241
    I went for the first time last year because of PJ, this year i went just to go and have a nice little break from the real world. And it gave me a reason to sport my blinky stick man again this year.

alive_0001-1.jpg
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
    Did any of you bother to go see Jerry Hannan? Judging by the 20-30 people there, I'm guessing quite a few of you didn't realize he was there.
  • Options
    AndySlash wrote:
    Did any of you bother to go see Jerry Hannan? Judging by the 20-30 people there, I'm guessing quite a few of you didn't realize he was there.
    wow- that's it? What stage/tent did he play at?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    Anyone see Ben Harper, Galactic, Shadows Fall, Todd Barry, or the Zac Brown Band?

I don't think I've seen any discussion on these. Damn, Roo had a good line-up this year!!!! Still think it's the best festival out there
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    Anyone see Alejandro Escovedo on Saturday?

Too bad they put him first up. I hope he got a good crowd.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    TREAT = BRUCE WITH PHISH
    whatd they play together?
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    LukinFan wrote:
    AndySlash wrote:
    wow- that's it? What stage/tent did he play at?

He was in the Troo Music Lounge just before The Mars Volta started on the Which stage on Saturday. If I remember right (and I may not... ;) ) they started their set during his performance of Society, pretty much drowning him out if you weren't within a few feet of the stage.
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    TREAT = BRUCE WITH PHISH

A kick ass Mustang Sally, then Broooooooce's Bobby Jean and Born To Run.
  • Options
    AndySlash wrote:
    sgossard3 wrote:
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    TREAT = BRUCE WITH PHISH

A kick ass Mustang Sally, then Broooooooce's Bobby Jean and Born To Run.
    damn... ill need to keep an eye out for a d/l of those

• Options
  • Options
    AndySlash wrote:
    thank you sir