Options

Metallica fanclub.

2»

Comments

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    JaneNY wrote:
    non-entity wrote:
    I think Metallica is the best band I've ever seen live. From their stage presence, the amazing pyro show, and the way Hetfield gets into it with the crowd , it all cannot be matched in my opinion.

ever seen NIN?

I'm a casual Metallica fan but have never had the occassion to see them live, but NIN is mind-blowing.

Its better than hanging around behind some venue near some bus (which I've never done - it doesn't feel appropriate to me) in the hopes that someone might show up.

I agree with most of what you wrote ... but I did want to mildy disagree with this. Waiting on the street, by the bus, behind barricades is in no way "inappropriate."

If you watch how it's handled at the Ed solo shows ... it is completely in his control. If he wants to stop and chat and shake a few hands, he does. And if he doesn't, he doesn't. I guarantee you, if Ed found anything "inappropriate" about it, he wouldn't embrace it as he has.

Anyway ... sorry for the temporary threadjack ... I've just never understood why some people seem to find this sort of thing "inappropriate." Otherwise, right on with what you posted.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I agree with most of what you wrote ... but I did want to mildy disagree with this. Waiting on the street, by the bus, behind barricades is in no way "inappropriate."

If you watch how it's handled at the Ed solo shows ... it is completely in his control. If he wants to stop and chat and shake a few hands, he does. And if he doesn't, he doesn't. I guarantee you, if Ed found anything "inappropriate" about it, he wouldn't embrace it as he has.

Anyway ... sorry for the temporary threadjack ... I've just never understood why some people seem to find this sort of thing "inappropriate." Otherwise, right on with what you posted.

I guess we can agree to disagree - I only speak for myself as one person and how I feel about it (still feel that way). I had no qualms at all about saying hi and thanks to Liam Finn who came out in the lobby after his performance for fans to talk to and get stuff signed. It just depends on whether the artist seems to be seeking it out (Metallica, NIN, Liam Finn) or someone who is going 'home' to their bus and has no choice but to walk past people who are there.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,517
    JaneNY wrote:

I guess we can agree to disagree - I only speak for myself as one person and how I feel about it (still feel that way). I had no qualms at all about saying hi and thanks to Liam Finn who came out in the lobby after his performance for fans to talk to and get stuff signed. It just depends on whether the artist seems to be seeking it out (Metallica, NIN, Liam Finn) or someone who is going 'home' to their bus and has no choice but to walk past people who are there.

judging from Ed's attitude of making a point to approach the fans waiting for him after a show and to spend time with them on any sort of level would suggest he's more than comfortable with the scenario. i wouldn't go so far as to say Ed is "seeking" this attention, more so he's encouraging the interaction between respectful fans and a respectful musician,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    edited June 2009
    100 Pacer wrote:
    JaneNY wrote:

judging from Ed's attitude of making a point to approach the fans waiting for him after a show and to spend time with them on any sort of level would suggest he's more than comfortable with the scenario. i wouldn't go so far as to say Ed is "seeking" this attention, more so he's encouraging the interaction between respectful fans and a respectful musician,...

I was in Montreal wasting time after the show when I walked away from the tour bus with about 25 people still standing there after an hour. It turned out Ed exited through an alternate venue door, to avoid the fans near his tour bus and took off in a van. So, he's not always in the mood to see his fans at his bus directly after the show. I'm just saying...
    JaneNY wrote:
    Security was handled fine - we entered the venue early, and went through normal security (bags, pockets, jackets checked), and later met everyone in NIN (briefly, 1 minute or so each). I think its a testament that this CAN be done, and it can be done safely. Its better than hanging around behind some venue near some bus (which I've never done - it doesn't feel appropriate to me) in the hopes that someone might show up. When its set up by the artist, the artist has more control over it, and you don't feel like you're invading their privacy when its something they set up.

Pearl Jam could probably raise a LOT of money for charity by doing some such thing.

I agree that this way of doing the meet and greets would be in the artist's favor, and would work for everyone involved, without fans waiting hours on end only to be dealt nothing in return (you're always taking that chance).
    Post edited by Jeanwah on
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,517
    Jeanwah wrote:
    100 Pacer wrote:
    JaneNY wrote:

I was in Montreal wasting time after the show when I walked away from the tour bus with about 25 people still standing there after an hour. It turned out Ed exited through an alternate venue door, to avoid the fans near his tour bus and took off in a van. So, he's not always in the mood to see his fans at his bus directly after the show. I'm just saying...

i agree that he's not always in the mood,...

;)
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    zezitozezito Posts: 164
    I had a chance to go to a Metallica Meet & Greet back in 98 in Brazil.
    It was very good to get to know Jason Newested and change a couple of words. unfortunately, the other guys just passed by waving at us and left...
    "...take care of a couple of requests...one is from last night...I don't know if you are here again tonight...this first one...I'm not gonna tell you!"
    EV Adelaide 22-11-2006 ... yep I was there ... THANKS!
  • Options
    BD122845BD122845 Posts: 43
    Metallica Fan Club is great. Been a member since 2000. Won tickets for the first Fillmore show and the smallest gig since 1983 at the Basement in Nashville, TN the night before Bonnaroo 1 of 15 metclub winners. Metallica Meet N' Greets are small and their more personal. If you are crazy they will kick your ass out of the M & G. All their M & G's are videotaped. They do not do background checks. There have been 2 fans that have pulled some shit and recently the RRHOF scandal and the Blue Hair thief. Not associated with M & G's but F' metallica fans really bad! They do their best at their HQ and no harm for the video a couple of years ago when Lars made a joke about PJ not having a HQ. However I do request to Metallica to have a 1-800 number but the idea was laugh at. Pearl Jam has a 1-800 number and for someone to answer the phone.
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    Interesting thread.

Some shows are pretty long. Maybe the guys don’t want to or can’t give anymore. It seems to me to be exhausting to do a M&G and a show. The security mention was a good point IMO.

Oh IMO you can’t generalize fans according to artist. Every band has psycho fans out there ruining it for the lot of us.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,012
    I feel like EV doesnt really feel MANY of their older songs (Corduroy, Better Man, Jeremy to name just a few...compare them to the performances from 94/95) and is just going through the motions. Trent has never phoned in a performance, not even on songs they play every night, and he has recorded and toured WAY more than PJ since 2005.

True. I've seen NIN 3 times in Sweden and even when they played for a halfull arena (Hovet) they gave everything.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    StoveStove Posts: 316
    I just got my membership renewed. Its a great club. What funny is a few years back. In So What! (metallica's magazine) they had a q and A section and one of the question was: "have you ever thought about releasing bootlegs like Pearl Jam?" I forget what their response was but it was something of to the effect of "we don't need to right now" or something. Now of course Metallica records all their shows. I think its different with Metallica because they have a special relationship with their fans, which is not to say that Pearl Jam don't either. But Metallica have really put themselves out their in the upon emotionally. Their documentary "some kind of monster" was a very revealing insight into what was going on at that particular time in their career. Pearl Jam has yet to do this. Metallica basically put themselves out their as human beings and continue to do so in their magazine. Which is not to say that Pearl Jam don't either but the level of intimacy is different. I did here that PJ is doing something with Cameron Crowe. But I don't know if Id want them to. Metallica's club is also very expensive, where as with Tenclub you get some magazines and a chance to score sweet tickets.
  • Options
    azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 698
    That video I posted just shows how awesome Metallica is.. I love all of them. Real down to earth people.

That one guy was SUPER excited lol.

I would not characterize Lars Ulrich as "down to earth." Maybe he was in 1988.
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • Options
    i'm in the metclub and the 10C

I think they are both awesome to be honest and they both treat fans very well. although I will agree with people on here in that the metclub is much more efficient.
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • Options
    Mike GossardMike Gossard Posts: 344
    I saw a great video a while ago jamming backstage with a fan and him and Kirk trading solo's on "One" I think. Bad ass stuff geting to jam with your heros.
    Let's see those 2013 dates in the southern states.
  • Options
    hollyster70hollyster70 Posts: 228
    [/quote]I have never seen a "Trent's outfit" mention in a NIN setlist thread or a "pics where James looks hot" thread.[/quote]

Thats because those pictures do not exist.... ;)
    Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle
  • Options
    azwyldcats wrote:
    That video I posted just shows how awesome Metallica is.. I love all of them. Real down to earth people.

That one guy was SUPER excited lol.

I would not characterize Lars Ulrich as "down to earth." Maybe he was in 1988.
    Lol seriously? Lars is probably the most friendly and outgoing of all the guys.
  • Options
    mytincturemytincture Posts: 61
    Incubus does a M & G before every show. They auction 25 sets of tickets and the winners do a M & G before the show. They donate the money to charity. I think its a good idea and something I wish PJ would do. I understand they give plenty of money, to various charities, but they could raise a hell of a lot of money doing this.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    I never signed up to try and win the meet and greet here. My G/F is also a big Metallica fan.. and if we'd gone to the show, and I told her to wait there while I go meet metallica, I don't think it'd of gone over well.

Probably should of anyways... but thats the downfall of only the actual metclub member getting into the meet and greet.

I think Metallica's fan club is handled very well. The fan club magzines come out like clockwork every few months, lots of merch, a well crafted website, ticket access, and meet and greets.

I've joined other clubs for tickets. I joined both of U2's fan clubs. They used to have one called Propaganda, and you didn't pay per year.. you membership lasted until you recieved 4 magazines. Problem was it fizzled out after my 2nd magazine (at least I got fan tickets out of it). Then they hire fanfire to run their fan club, which was a big fiasco, because most of the fan club seats were crap, and eventually U2 had to flex their muscle and get TM to release more (better) tickets. But all you really get is a cd and access to a website for 40ish dollars a year. Its one of those fan clubs you only join the years the band actually tours.

Tried to join the motley crue fan club once to get their tickets. It turns out all the good seats were in super VIP packages that cost an arm and leg. Fanfire run fanclubs suck a**, they're nothing but a cash grab. They wouldn't refund my membership fee, so I just reversed it off my credit card.

Joined the AC/DC fan club, you get directly access to a pair of tickets for one show on the tour, nothing more nothing less. You go to their website just before the public onsale and get a special code, but you have to buy at the same time as the public onsale, but you get access to different tickets. The tickets are good (I got 5th row floor in a stadium), but TM is overloaded with the public sale, that it really messes up the fan club members. The good side is, if you don't order tickets, they refund your membership fee.

Joined the aforemention NIN fan club for free on the last your. Free access to fan club tickets, and the ticket process was painless. How do you beat that? Honourable mention also goes out to NIN and Metallica for making the artwork on the fan tickets different that your standard TM tickets, just another level of class.

And I'm in the Ten Club of course, all about the xmas vinyl and the tickets :) Which is for a fairly low fee (25 for me). Always seemed reasonable to me.

Just my take on the different fan clubs i've been in. I never used to join so many, but with ticketmaster getting more crooked by the second, they seem to the only way to get access to decent tickets without sacrificing your first born.
  • Options
    LaFoursLaFours Posts: 42
    Tallica may have changed their m&g rules sometime over the years. Joined in 96, and I believe at the time the m&g allowed for a member and a guest backstage. At the Sanitarium tour they had a club members only area that (in philly was essentially a private air conditioned restaurant above the floor area).
    It's little bit more money $55 for a premier membership. Like others said first chance at tix, chance at m&g, fanclub only website access, 4 issue of the mag. Alot of other stuff that would be boring to just PJ fans.