Options

Metallica fanclub.

Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
edited June 2009 in The Porch
EVERY Show you can sign up for a meet and greet. I WISH PJ would do this. It would be awesome, doesn't take much time.. and they can hear from the fans.

http://www.metontour.com/portal/video/m ... and%20Fade
2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Cool video.
  • Options
    unforgivenunforgiven Posts: 378
    Yeah it is a pretty cool idea. Im a member of the metclub and they have some pretty cool features with their membership. It costs me $60 US for an international membership. for that I recieve a t-shirt, ability to pre-purchase tickets, chance of securing meet and greet passesfor concerts, 4 issues of so what magazine, which is an extremely professional mag with input from the band members. When metallica set up a website to allow people to keep abreast of the recording process, which included little bits and pieces from songs, I recieved acess for free
  • Options
    unforgiven wrote:
    Yeah it is a pretty cool idea. Im a member of the metclub and they have some pretty cool features with their membership. It costs me $60 US for an international membership. for that I recieve a t-shirt, ability to pre-purchase tickets, chance of securing meet and greet passesfor concerts, 4 issues of so what magazine, which is an extremely professional mag with input from the band members. When metallica set up a website to allow people to keep abreast of the recording process, which included little bits and pieces from songs, I recieved acess for free
    Yup.. been a fan club member for a few years now. So what magazines are awesome. I gotta say.. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the 10c.. but I wish it was ran the same way as Metclub.

It got me floor seats for the 1/2909 and 1/31/09 shows.. and I bought my own seats no fan club for 2/1/09
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    SO COOL..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I might be one of the only people around here who dislikes Metallica... but I agree the meet & greet thing is pretty cool.
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    The funny thing about these comments is: I met Tim Bierman in 2003 and he mentioned how Metallica wanted to start running their fan club more like the Ten Club... I guess regarding ticketing and stuff. And they've pretty much completely outdone the Ten Club (no offense Tim) :) It's a bit expensive, but that meet & greet thing is cool. You think PJ has too much merch... get yourself on the Metallica mailing list!! I'm not in the club but get their email updates... Christmas ornaments and all sorts of worthless shit. And did you know Metallica has a Guitar Hero verison out? I hadn't heard! :roll:
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    That was so cute - all those guys so excited to meet Metallica. I would love it if PJ did this - NIN has been doing something like this this tour (having meet and greets) in which they raised a LOT of money for charity (almost $1 million), and it was so nice.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,141
    I'm in the metclub too, signed up last year so I could get metclub tickets (worked out good, I got floor tickets, even though they announced the fan tickets at short noticed and I put my order in an hour late).

They send out magazine's like clockwork (4 of them a year).

You definately get your money's worth.

On the other hand ten club is 20-25 dollars for a membership, so almost 1/3 the price, so I think you also get your money's worth.. a single every year, one or two copies of deep magazine, and access to tickets.

I'm sure 10c could do more, but they'd have to charge more.

But at least both of these fan clubs give you something for your money. With how difficult it is to buy tickets from TM (or get good ones), I've joined quite a few fan clubs for ticket access. AC/DC's fan club is 40 bux and all you get its access to fan club tickets, nothing else.

While bands like Pearl Jam and Metallica use their fan clubs for good, alot of other bands use them for a cash grab :(
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    I might be one of the only people around here who dislikes Metallica... but I agree the meet & greet thing is pretty cool.
    You aren't ;)
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    That video I posted just shows how awesome Metallica is.. I love all of them. Real down to earth people.

That one guy was SUPER excited lol.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2

• Options
    Hey I'm a member of the MetClub too! Seeing them October first. Hope to win a meet & greet..
  • Options
    That video was really cool. I am really impressed with how nice the band was and how well behaved the fans were. I hate to say it, but I'm not sure some 10 Clubbers could handle themselves the way the fans in the video did. We, like alot of other groups of hard core fans, have quite a few psychos in our ranks. Did you notice nobody told them, "Hey, I played your music when my parent/friend/dog died" or "Your music stopped me from killing myself" or "I want to have your babies" or handed them 100 things to sign or nagged them with a bunch of questions like "when are you going to play this venue/region/country?". Nobody handed them creepy notes. You had the girl say "I wish you played Mexico every 2 years.", one guy politely made a song request and another guy who was super excited but in control of himself say they were at the top of their career. Granted, creepy stuff might have happened and was edited out, but I think a PJ meet and greet would be alot different. Don't get me wrong, you could have 100 10 Clubers at a meet and greet and 96 of them would be fine but the other 4 would make it a miserable experience for the band and the other 96.
  • Options
    That video was really cool. I am really impressed with how nice the band was and how well behaved the fans were. I hate to say it, but I'm not sure some 10 Clubbers could handle themselves the way the fans in the video did. We, like alot of other groups of hard core fans, have quite a few psychos in our ranks. Did you notice nobody told them, "Hey, I played your music when my parent/friend/dog died" or "Your music stopped me from killing myself" or "I want to have your babies" or handed them 100 things to sign or nagged them with a bunch of questions like "when are you going to play this venue/region/country?". Nobody handed them creepy notes. You had the girl say "I wish you played Mexico every 2 years.", one guy politely made a song request and another guy who was super excited but in control of himself say they were at the top of their career. Granted, creepy stuff might have happened and was edited out, but I think a PJ meet and greet would be alot different. Don't get me wrong, you could have 100 10 Clubers at a meet and greet and 96 of them would be fine but the other 4 would make it a miserable experience for the band and the other 96.
    And guess what? The guy requested them to play "Dyers Eve" and they played it. They barely play Dyers Eve anymore.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2

• Options
    Here's another, from the first of 3 shows for me.

http://www.metallica.com/videoplayer/me ... %2C+Thingy

I tried for this meet and greet :( 0 for 3.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2

• Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    I hate to say it, but I'm not sure some 10 Clubbers could handle themselves the way the fans in the video did.

Bingo. If I was a member of PJ, I would NOT want to do this. something about this band just makes its fans act crazy. the other bands mentioned, like Metallica and NIN, have very passionate fans as well, but in my experiences, it's not to the level of obsessive, stalker-like behavior. for example, I have never seen a "Trent's outfit" mention in a NIN setlist thread or a "pics where James looks hot" thread.

NIN has taken over as my 2nd favorite band, and a large part of it is because of the way Trent has treated his fans since he got clean (culminating with the true open-taping policy this last tour). PJ is still number 1 in terms of music, but the way NIN runs (without even charging for a fan club) is just incredible.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    non-entity wrote:
    I hate to say it, but I'm not sure some 10 Clubbers could handle themselves the way the fans in the video did.

Bingo. If I was a member of PJ, I would NOT want to do this. something about this band just makes its fans act crazy. the other bands mentioned, like Metallica and NIN, have very passionate fans as well, but in my experiences, it's not to the level of obsessive, stalker-like behavior. for example, I have never seen a "Trent's outfit" mention in a NIN setlist thread or a "pics where James looks hot" thread.

Yeah, the 10C would definitely have to run background checks. :mrgreen:
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    And guess what? The guy requested them to play "Dyers Eve" and they played it. They barely play Dyers Eve anymore.

That's awesome. I didn't know what the song was or the frequency it's played. I'm not familiar with Metallica's music at all. Something about Master of Puppets scared the shit out of me when I was a kid and I've never been able to get into them since :lol: I have a new found respect for those guys now. The way they acted in that video made me want to go out and buy all their cd's, my Master of Puppets phobia be damned! :lol:
  • Options
    pjjjpjjj Posts: 43
    [/quote]

That's awesome. I didn't know what the song was or the frequency it's played. I'm not familiar with Metallica's music at all. Something about Master of Puppets scared the shit out of me when I was a kid and I've never been able to get into them since :lol: I have a new found respect for those guys now. The way they acted in that video made me want to go out and buy all their cd's, my Master of Puppets phobia be damned! :lol:[/quote]

Do it you won't regret it.
  • Options
    non-entity wrote:

Uhh, there is a whole entire website dedicated to James Hetfield full of "pics where he looks hot"

Every band has stalker like, obsessive fans, not just Pearl Jam.
  • Options

That's awesome. I didn't know what the song was or the frequency it's played. I'm not familiar with Metallica's music at all. Something about Master of Puppets scared the shit out of me when I was a kid and I've never been able to get into them since :lol: I have a new found respect for those guys now. The way they acted in that video made me want to go out and buy all their cd's, my Master of Puppets phobia be damned! :lol:
    Yeah, Dyers Eve is a great song, not played much.. you should REALLY buy their cd's. I saw them 3 times.. they are amazing. Almost a tie for PJ live.

Here's a great performance from Roo last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGhQSCmpO9A
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2

• Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Just watched the video that Jeremys Spoken posted and my guess is PJ would NEVER give fans that kind of access. Even on the website where they showed you clips of the show and a complete song from less than a week ago would never happen with PJ. I have been a lifelong Metallica fan and love the way their fan club does business.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    Just watched the video that Jeremys Spoken posted and my guess is PJ would NEVER give fans that kind of access. Even on the website where they showed you clips of the show and a complete song from less than a week ago would never happen with PJ. I have been a lifelong Metallica fan and love the way their fan club does business.
    Yeah.. just a great band and great fanclub. Im in no way dogging 10c.. I love it.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2

• Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    EVERY Show you can sign up for a meet and greet. I WISH PJ would do this. It would be awesome, doesn't take much time.. and they can hear from the fans.

http://www.metontour.com/portal/video/m ... and%20Fade
    its will never happen with pj. To many stalkers/ed lovers in this fan club. They outweigh normal fans.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options

Yeah, Dyers Eve is a great song, not played much.. you should REALLY buy their cd's. I saw them 3 times.. they are amazing. Almost a tie for PJ live.

Here's a great performance from Roo last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGhQSCmpO9A
    I think Metallica is the best band I've ever seen live. From their stage presence, the amazing pyro show, and the way Hetfield gets into it with the crowd , it all cannot be matched in my opinion.
  • Options
    I think Metallica is the best band I've ever seen live. From their stage presence, the amazing pyro show, and the way Hetfield gets into it with the crowd , it all cannot be matched in my opinion.

ever seen NIN?

I'm a casual Metallica fan but have never had the occassion to see them live, but NIN is mind-blowing.
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    non-entity wrote:

ever seen NIN?

I'm a casual Metallica fan but have never had the occassion to see them live, but NIN is mind-blowing.
    I have seen Metallica many times in concert and NIN twice. For me, Pearl Jam blows them both out of the water. Though, I am probably a little biased.
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,795
    agreed....

and when you say "quite a few psychos"

that is an understatement....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    just want to say I think it's so cool that there are fellow Metalliheads here, too into PJ. For some strange reason didn't really expect that, although I'm not on the boards here too much. Both such quality bands~
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I have seen Metallica many times in concert and NIN twice. For me, Pearl Jam blows them both out of the water. Though, I am probably a little biased.

while Pearl Jam will always be the pinnacle because of what their music means to me, the energy and passion of NIN live has now surpassed PJ. PJ still has the element of surprise. you dont know what is coming next and they could play anything from their catalog at any time. but on the last few tours, I feel like EV doesnt really feel MANY of their older songs (Corduroy, Better Man, Jeremy to name just a few...compare them to the performances from 94/95) and is just going through the motions. Trent has never phoned in a performance, not even on songs they play every night, and he has recorded and toured WAY more than PJ since 2005.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    non-entity wrote:

ever seen NIN?

^^^^ This. Trent has his share of horrible stalkers/crazies definitely(he recently decided to stop 2-way twittering), but I met the guy recently at the charity thing (for Eric de La Cruz) he's been doing this tour, and all the other fans that I met seemed really nice.

Security was handled fine - we entered the venue early, and went through normal security (bags, pockets, jackets checked), and later met everyone in NIN (briefly, 1 minute or so each). I think its a testament that this CAN be done, and it can be done safely. Its better than hanging around behind some venue near some bus (which I've never done - it doesn't feel appropriate to me) in the hopes that someone might show up. When its set up by the artist, the artist has more control over it, and you don't feel like you're invading their privacy when its something they set up.

Pearl Jam could probably raise a LOT of money for charity by doing some such thing.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008