I think this would be a good time to hear from the band..

ramblinponyramblinpony Posts: 115
edited June 2009 in The Porch
Alot of stuff has been going on around this place lately and I think it would be wise for the band to give a statement.

I understand that you have certain rules and contracts that you must follow, but when stuff gets censored and removed without a hint of why, people are bound to be pissed off. You are not required to tell us anything, and we are not entitled to anything. However, when a friend leaves their door open every day for 18 years and one day you go to their house and the door is locked and nobody is answering the bell, you have the right to get a little worried.

What is bothering me about the whole thing is that it is not the band who is being so weird about things, it is the people hired to represent the band. I can't speak for everyone, but I really want to hear what the band has to say about all of this stuff. This all started after reading Heathers post on the "Fuel-Friends" blog. The day you loose a fan like her, many more will likely follow. Don't let this happen.

This is not just about the Target thing. It is a pattern I have seen over the last few years. Eddie doesn't want his shows recorded. That is fine, it is his music. But again, there was never a problem with this before, we just want an explanation. Make something up. Tell us the venue won't allow it. Tell us the tapes cause cancer. Just tell us something. It will make us feel alot better.

Remember what Bono said in that 1993 article about PJ when him and Jeff were discussing hugeness vs. purity : "We used to be anti-anti... We used to be angry. But we love technology, like you love what you love. Next tour we might only play 3,000-seat halls. But this is where we are today. Ten years from now, you tell us where you are."

Hey Pearl Jam, it has been 18 years. Tell us where you are.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    "All we want is the truth. We can handle the truth."
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    Alot of stuff has been going on around this place lately and I think it would be wise for the band to give a statement.

I understand that you have certain rules and contracts that you must follow, but when stuff gets censored and removed without a hint of why, people are bound to be pissed off. You are not required to tell us anything, and we are not entitled to anything. However, when a friend leaves their door open every day for 18 years and one day you go to their house and the door is locked and nobody is answering the bell, you have the right to get a little worried.

What is bothering me about the whole thing is that it is not the band who is being so weird about things, it is the people hired to represent the band. I can't speak for everyone, but I really want to hear what the band has to say about all of this stuff. This all started after reading Heathers post on the "Fuel-Friends" blog. The day you loose a fan like her, many more will likely follow. Don't let this happen.

This is not just about the Target thing. It is a pattern I have seen over the last few years. Eddie doesn't want his shows recorded. That is fine, it is his music. But again, there was never a problem with this before, we just want an explanation. Make something up. Tell us the venue won't allow it. Tell us the tapes cause cancer. Just tell us something. It will make us feel alot better.

Remember what Bono said in that 1993 article about PJ when him and Jeff were discussing hugeness vs. purity : "We used to be anti-anti... We used to be angry. But we love technology, like you love what you love. Next tour we might only play 3,000-seat halls. But this is where we are today. Ten years from now, you tell us where you are."

My guess about the no-taping policy is that it's likely for the eventual release of a DVD, or at least compilation CD from the shows.. since there's little variation in the EV setlist, I would imagine that having freely available bootlegs would cut into profit to be made through an official release.
    Heather also posted later, I thought, that someone from the Ten Club called her to apologize for the rude comments made about her blog.
    While the post deletions were upsetting, once the reason was clear for it, it made a lot of sense (for me at least). I think they were justified in what they were doing, in order to not have false information distributed. What they could have done instead, however, was simply make a sticky stating that the band performed at the Showbox, and that we should stay tuned until they're ready to explain what went on, and why, and that we shouldn't discuss in so that no false information is distributed.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • ramblinponyramblinpony Posts: 115
    edited June 2009
    "My guess about the no-taping policy is that it's likely for the eventual release of a DVD, or at least compilation CD from the shows.. since there's little variation in the EV setlist, I would imagine that having freely available bootlegs would cut into profit to be made through an official release.
    Heather also posted later, I thought, that someone from the Ten Club called her to apologize for the rude comments made about her blog.
    While the post deletions were upsetting, once the reason was clear for it, it made a lot of sense (for me at least). I think they were justified in what they were doing, in order to not have false information distributed. What they could have done instead, however, was simply make a sticky stating that the band performed at the Showbox, and that we should stay tuned until they're ready to explain what went on, and why, and that we shouldn't discuss in so that no false information is distributed.
    "

Yes, but a guess is a guess. Hard info would be nice.

Heather did recieve an apology , if an apology is when someone calls your blog "shitty"

Agree 100% on the sticky about the Showbox
    Post edited by ramblinpony on
  • Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    benjs wrote:

My guess about the no-taping policy is that it's likely for the eventual release of a DVD, or at least compilation CD from the shows.. since there's little variation in the EV setlist, I would imagine that having freely available bootlegs would cut into profit to be made through an official release.

What did I miss??? :?:
    I need a coffee!
  • Pearl SamPearl Sam Posts: 88
    I agree 100% that a statement from the band would be nice - or maybe an update to the "Current Information" thread. But, you know, PJ has never been a band that has a lot of extra stuff to say, unless it's Ed at the shows.
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    who is heather?
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Again with this blog crap. Seriously its a fucking blog, there's millions of these all over the net. Yea its sucky someone from the 10c called her blog that. But really when your told 3 times to take it down. Its kinda hard not to get pissed of at the blogger. Threads get deleted cause they get outta hand or talk bout the bands private matter which is not allowed on here and is clearly stated in the rules that its not allowed. The mods don't need a reason for deleting, they do what they see fit and are probably tired of threads on the same topic. If you don't like it then go elsewhere, there's tons of other pj boards. Ramblinpony your post is one of the best ones I've seen around here but its beating a topic to death.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

metsfan wrote:
    Again with this blog crap. Seriously its a fucking blog, there's millions of these all over the net. Yea its sucky someone from the 10c called her blog that. But really when your told 3 times to take it down. Its kinda hard not to get pissed of at the blogger. Threads get deleted cause they get outta hand or talk bout the bands private matter which is not allowed on here and is clearly stated in the rules that its not allowed. The mods don't need a reason for deleting, they do what they see fit and are probably tired of threads on the same topic. If you don't like it then go elsewhere, there's tons of other pj boards. Ramblinpony your post is one of the best ones I've seen around here but its beating a topic to death.

Yeah but Heathers blog is one of the better ones. At least we can agree on that?
  • weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    Blogs are nothing but opinions. Everyone has a right to express their opinion, yes even those who dissent with a stated opinion. There is so much blather about any and every topic in the universe on the Internet these days that any one opinion is subject to alternative views. Why start a blog of your own viewpoints if you're not prepared to deal with dissention? The Internet is about freedom and most of the stuff on it is uncontrolled. Is someone gets their feelings hurt about what they post, they shouldn't post to begin with. I also think it's an individual's duty to discern what they assess to be correct or true by searching out corroborating information. It's not the band's responsibility to address every piece of crap written or said about them. JMO :?
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    We just heard from the band 2 weeks ago.

We know the album is planned for release in Sept.

We know their future tour plans.

The whole blogger thing got blown outta proportion, far as I'm concerned. She was told to shut down sharing something and she threw a big hissy fit, drawing tons of traffic to her blog. She's not really that big a fan anyway if she's willing to ditch the band for such ridiculous reasons.
    edited June 2009

Yeah but Heathers blog is one of the better ones. At least we can agree on that?
    not to derail your thread but i'm not a fan of any of blogs. i never heard of this blog until this incident. shes not the first blogger on the net or the first pj blog or website site to be threatened by the 10c that has leaked stuff. this woulda been a non issue had her "followers" not made attention bout it on websites. get over it, its a blog.
    Post edited by Gary Carter on

"My guess about the no-taping policy is that it's likely for the eventual release of a DVD, or at least compilation CD from the shows.. since there's little variation in the EV setlist, I would imagine that having freely available bootlegs would cut into profit to be made through an official release.
    "

Heather did recieve an apology , if an apology is when someone calls your blog "shitty"

Her blog is shitty.
    DewieCox wrote:
    "

Her blog is shitty.

Why is her blog shitty?
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    benjs wrote:
    My guess about the no-taping policy is that it's likely for the eventual release of a DVD, or at least compilation CD from the shows..

uh, no. not sure why people keep hoping for this. it's about as realistic as the "I heard a big band is playing my town fair...pretty sure it's PJ." I dont think we will ever see an official release of any of the solo stuff (yes, I know the DC shows had several cameras rolling). I think the reason is just that Ed doesnt want the material out there.

does it make sense to me? nope.

why are 10C being so rigid about it? because people keep openly violating the policy.

do I know or care who Heather is? nope.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
    DewieCox wrote:
    "

Her blog is shitty.

Why is her blog shitty?

It contained illegal material and when she was told to remove it, multiple times, she decided to whine and complain about it. Talk about sour grapes. Also, she really has no clue about the Target deal, yet she had already thrown PJ under the bus for it.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    DewieCox wrote:

It contained illegal material and when she was told to remove it, multiple times, she decided to whine and complain about it. Talk about sour grapes. Also, she really has no clue about the Target deal, yet she had already thrown PJ under the bus for it.

ding! ding! ding! collect your prize when you log off. 8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • redeyeredeye Posts: 620
    the only thing i wanna hear is some new music :D:D
    weenie wrote:
    Blogs are nothing but opinions. Everyone has a right to express their opinion, yes even those who dissent with a stated opinion. There is so much blather about any and every topic in the universe on the Internet these days that any one opinion is subject to alternative views. Why start a blog of your own viewpoints if you're not prepared to deal with dissention? The Internet is about freedom and most of the stuff on it is uncontrolled. Is someone gets their feelings hurt about what they post, they shouldn't post to begin with. I also think it's an individual's duty to discern what they assess to be correct or true by searching out corroborating information. It's not the band's responsibility to address every piece of crap written or said about them. JMO :?

The only thing the blog has to do with anything is that it got me thinking about the subject. This post was not about the blog as a whole. I am sorry if it comes off that way, but I don't mean to defend anyones blog. (Although I do think that someone who is represeting somene else should choose words a little more carefully) I am just curious to hear from THE BAND. I don't post on here very often, and when I do, it is because I think something is worth talking about. I am looking for some reasoning that is all. I think the boards can be policed as much as the 10club thinks they should be.. it just seems like this is not the same 10club that it used to be.

P.S. Dont bother replying with that "Love it or Leave it" crap. Sorry, but as of right now, I have every intention of staying.
    It would be nice if the band would say "Still working on those West Coast dates. Looking at East Coast dates for early 2010, and maybe a few others sprinkled in" and other vague news. Something would be nice. Stuff falls apart - we know.

...btw, when is the big, bold and free thing happening? ;)
    weenie wrote:

The only thing the blog has to do with anything is that it got me thinking about the subject. This post was not about the blog as a whole. I am sorry if it comes off that way, but I don't mean to defend anyones blog. (Although I do think that someone who is represeting somene else should choose words a little more carefully) I am just curious to hear from THE BAND. I don't post on here very often, and when I do, it is because I think something is worth talking about. I am looking for some reasoning that is all. I think the boards can be policed as much as the 10club thinks they should be.. it just seems like this is not the same 10club that it used to be.

P.S. Dont bother replying with that "Love it or Leave it" crap. Sorry, but as of right now, I have every intention of staying.

Again, we just heard from the band within the last few weeks. Kelly Curtis gave an interview to billboard.... Any tour plans are obviously not finished up, as they said they would announce them in due time.

BE FUCKING PATIENT!!!!
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    Jesus Christ. Pull on your big boy pants, people.

We don't need to hear from the band. They've got better stuff to do than to reply to every goddamn rumor/problem/panties-in-a-wad moment on the Internet.

Just listen to the music. Go to the shows. Enjoy your life. This ain't fuckin' Watergate. It's a rock band. The world will not end if we don't get to tape the Ed solo shows.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
    Jesus Christ. Pull on your big boy pants, people.

We don't need to hear from the band. They've got better stuff to do than to reply to every goddamn rumor/problem/panties-in-a-wad moment on the Internet.

Just listen to the music. Go to the shows. Enjoy your life. This ain't fuckin' Watergate. It's a rock band. The world will not end if we don't get to tape the Ed solo shows.
    amen amen

Sorry for starting a firestorm. I will crawl back into my non-posting hole.

Peace and love.

Ramblinpony
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    CJMST3K wrote:

i speak from experience....like yoda :lol::lol::mrgreen:
    Sorry for starting a firestorm. I will crawl back into my non-posting hole.

Peace and love.

Ramblinpony
    i'm being serious from one fan to another, please don't crawl back into your hole. you bring up very good points and they are well thought out probably the best i've seen. but this topic and the target partnership talk has been going for 3 weeks now and its getting tiring. seeing this topic and the target deal daily on here is making me not wanna log onto here anymore and its caused me to cry, lol.

• 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Obviously Im missing something but am I reading this right?

Someone made a blog on their site that the 10c didnt like and they asked her to take it down? What right does the 10c have to do that?
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    i find if i go through life expecting less then i will be rewarded more often because sometimes my unreasonable high expectations get in the way of what is truly important

the band don't owe me anything but the next record, and that is the only reason why i am a fan(their music)
    Obviously Im missing something but am I reading this right?

Someone made a blog on their site that the 10c didnt like and they asked her to take it down? What right does the 10c have to do that?

Actually I think that TC asked them to take down cell phone video of the commercial they were filming, or audio, and while doing so told the blogger they have a "shitty blog". (i may be wrong on the details, but that's my understanding)