New Album - Don't Let "Got Some" Fool You

Comments

• Options
    dislocateddislocated Posts: 599
    Police Man is right.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    Police Man wrote:
    While "Backspacer" may or may not do as well commercially (e.g. have as many charting singles, sell as many copies) as "Pearl Jam-ST", it will shut the mouths of many of these "loyal haters" who believe Pearl Jam's last relevant record was "Yield", or in extreme cases, "Vs." The new album will also do better critically than any of the last three studio records, and that is not to say that any of the last three albums have done poorly critically, with composite scores of 69, 73 and 74, chronologically.

Composite scores of 69, 73, and 74??? what does that even mean?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    ZidaneZidane Ottawa Posts: 362
    Aaaah, finally some entertainment in my day!!!

It's funny to see how much speculations there is on this board every time there's a new PJ album coming out. Just make the wait more worth it. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!
    You're not what you own - Ian MacKaye, Fugazi

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    05 - Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    09 - Toronto, Philly (Show #3-4)
    10 - Cleveland
    11 - Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa
    13 - London (ON), Philly (x2)
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    Police Man. I hope You are right.

Though I like Got Some, I would be disappointed to here the whole new album souds like this one. I hope I would have to "break through" the music, that it won't be so easy to listen from the first time (like Got some).
    And for me it doesn't matter how the scores would be...

...and if U are lier - i will find U in dark, dirty place and kick U ass...
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    Yet another edifying thread here on ye olde Synergy.
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Options
    Ahr MannAhr Mann Posts: 141
    Wow. I'm pretty sure this site leads the league in pointless speculation. Can't we just enjoy the music let the chips fall where they may?

Personally, I thought "Got Some" was a killer tune, and am looking forward to yet another Pearl Jam album to play the f*ck out of for the next 18 months (or until the Chili Peppers get off their ass and get back into the studio).
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    Police Man wrote:
    He's a police man. The police are always right. Never question the police :lol:

Bingo - as a Police Man, I have access to info that lowly civilians don't. I am powerful - as powerful as Ed, and I will squeeze info out if necessary. ;)

I will wait to hear from the mailman. After all, when you control the mail, you control information
    :P
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    benjs wrote:
    Police Man wrote:
    The new song played on Conan may sound to many of you like the same old fast, punkish tunes we have been given via "Binaural", "Riot Act" and "Pearl Jam-ST". I know that many loyals think these fast, punkish numbers are bland, generic, incomeplete or unrealized.

Second of all... I've heard many various things said about Got Some, but "generic Pearl Jam song" is not one of them.

You must not have been around here right after Conan, because I and several others were saying exactly that and getting reamed for it.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    Ahr Mann wrote:
    Wow. I'm pretty sure this site leads the league in pointless speculation. Can't we just enjoy the music let the chips fall where they may?

Personally, I thought "Got Some" was a killer tune, and am looking forward to yet another Pearl Jam album to play the f*ck out of for the next 18 months (or until the Chili Peppers get off their ass and get back into the studio).

Right on. So much pointless speculation it is ridiculous.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    Police Man wrote:
    Yep - I'm in delusions - I need help. Also, did you mean to ask "How the F can you stand behind your delusions?" Assuming that is what you have asked, I stand by what I wrote because I have the ability to gather facts, pair those facts with quotes, history and recent occurences, and backwardly deduce. It's not that complicated, and I'm not suggesting I'm any smarter than you.

I'm curious what quotes and recent occurrences you're talking about. The only quotes I recall offhand all indicate the opposite of what you said in your post. They've talked about having a bunch of short, 3-minute punchy garage rockers... which sounds to me like the exact same generic crap as Got Some. I've heard nothing to indicate they're taking any new directions.
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Police Man wrote:
    and you know this because?

1. I have not listened to the new record.
    2. I am not "in" with the band.
    3. I know I am right.
    Opinions are like asshole, we've all got one.

At least we now know that this was all pure, uninformed speculation. ;)
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    Thanks for the PM, Police Man, I responded.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Mmmmm a positive post for once.
    Positive? That's not how I took it. He slammed the new song "Got Some," and the bands last three records. The only thing that was positive is that he is hoping he doesn't think this new record will suck as bad as he thought the last three did.
  • Options
    Police Man wrote:
    benjs wrote:
    Would you please stop talking about things you "know"? Rumours are flying left, right and center, and here you come spouting some self-proclaimed "truths", when in fact, you are just as in (out of) the know as the rest of us. I don't know if you think you're smarter than the rest of us, or whether you're just delusional, but honestly - come on.

No, Benjs, I will not stop talking about things that I know. I pretty much have the right to say what I think (or know) is the truth. If you don't like my thoughts, dude, then simply take your eyes to another thread. Also, if you read all my posts you would see where I said "I'm not suggesting I'm any smarter than any of you".

I disagree that I'm just as in the know as you or most others. If that were the case, then I wouldn't have started this thread to begin with. What value would I provide if I simply regurgitated info from elsewhere on the internet? I'm pretty sure I do have info that you probably don't. My knowledge and surety is NOT limited to the new album info @ http://www.pearljamonline.it/curiosit%E ... bumeng.htm, if that's what you're suggesting. While I did say I haven't listened to the new album, and I'm not "In" with the band, I have talked to some people that you haven't. And, if you don't like that, or don't want to believe that, then well, that's just too bad. 8-)
    But you admitted that yo haven't heard the album, so you are just taking other people's take on it and regurgitating it here. Sorry, but I can;t stand it when someone starts spouting off speculation as hardened facts. It really detracts from the point you are trying to make.
  • Options
    RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Police Man wrote:

3. I know I am right.
    Opinions are like asshole, we've all got one.

At least we now know that this was all pure, uninformed speculation. ;)

+1

If you "know" something, keep it to yourself dude unless, of course, you are stating an opinion. It causes nothing but trouble here.

But I guess everyone wants to be the first one to "know" and be the one to "inform" everyone else...
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Yet another edifying thread here on ye olde Synergy.

Observation of the day. ;)
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    keyserkeyser Posts: 67
    Don't Let "Got Some" Fool You:

This album will suck! Just like the last 5 did.
    If nothing is everything, I will have it all
  • Options
    keyser wrote:

Alright! Keep the optimism flowing!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    ExplodingHead.jpg
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    Pearl SamPearl Sam Posts: 88
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Positive? That's not how I took it. He slammed the new song "Got Some," and the bands last three records. The only thing that was positive is that he is hoping he doesn't think this new record will suck as bad as he thought the last three did.

Well, one response from you would have been plenty.

1. Where did I say the new song sucked?
    2. Where did I say, or even imply, any of the last 3 records sucked?
    3. In fact I believe I noted they did well critically.
    4. I believe what I did say, is that a lot of loyal haters hated the last 3 records, and also hated "Got Some".
    5. For the record, I like all of the last 3 records and "Got Some"
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    aNiMaL wrote:

I meant this of course in the context of and in comparison with the responses on this forum right after "Got Some" and that little incomprehensible fragment of The Fixer. Police Man is completely right when he wrote that some fans thought Got Some was generic. (Look at those posts the first day Got Some was aired!) I don't agree with those posts. In the same way I don't agree with the fact that we think we can judge an whole album by 1.5 songs.

From my personal point of view RA is one of my least favorite albums and ST sounded a bit too polished for me; like they tried to compensate the low profile of RA. Binaural on the other hand I love. I think this is one of the most underrated albums in the PJ catalogue. I liked the theme (rebirth and death), I liked the flow of the songs and the way they tried new (musical) grounds. In that sense RA was a natural follow up from Binaural; it was less philosophical, but more introspective. ST was (in my opinion) "going back to their (rock) roots". I'm quite curious what their next musical step will be and if PJ has reinvented themselves.

From this angle, I enjoyed Police Man's post. It was a positive post regarding an album we haven't heard yet on a forum where negativism to an unheard album is more the rule than the exception. Beyond that, it's all speculation and opinion and an interesting debate about the (new) direction this band (might) take is to me always welcome.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I would believe you except, I can't think of one song that Got Some sounds like they've done. It reminds me of Save You in a way, but maybe because of the lyrics and speed. Closest thing is Sonic Reducer and that's not even there's.

Where exactly do you want them to take the next album? They've covered every style in rock and roll. What's next??? You want a polka album?
  • Options
    Police Man wrote:

3. I know I am right.

This must be George W. Bush
    Straight down the center for a hot chicken dinner!
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    I would believe you except, I can't think of one song that Got Some sounds like they've done. It reminds me of Save You in a way, but maybe because of the lyrics and speed. Closest thing is Sonic Reducer and that's not even there's.

Where exactly do you want them to take the next album? They've covered every style in rock and roll. What's next??? You want a polka album?

:D

Polka Jam.

There are many directions. It could be more folky, acoustic, experimental, punky, rocking, introvert, extravert, strings - Pearl Jam is a good band, and they have covered a lot of musical grounds. But there are still other grounds to explore. That you can't place Got Some maybe means that it is a new direction?

To me; all directions are fine. I'm just curious about the overall feel and theme of the new album.

Shit, I'm so pathetic, I would even buy a Polka Jam.
  • Options

:D

Polka Jam.

There are many directions. It could be more folky, acoustic, experimental, punky, rocking, introvert, extravert, strings - Pearl Jam is a good band, and they have covered a lot of musical grounds. But there are still other grounds to explore. That you can't place Got Some maybe means that it is a new direction?

To me; all directions are fine. I'm just curious about the overall feel and theme of the new album.

Shit, I'm so pathetic, I would even buy a Polka Jam.
    Well, if Eddie can improve his accordion playing... it has been a while since Bugs after all.. yeah, I think I'd buy Polka Jam :oops:

EV
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940

actually they haven't done a "the wall" type cd or a quadrophenia or a tommy type. For some reason I believe police man has some sort of info. This post is to thought out and isn't just pure rambling bs like most of write on here.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    metsfan wrote:

actually they haven't done a "the wall" type cd or a quadrophenia or a tommy type. For some reason I believe police man has some sort of info. This post is to thought out and isn't just pure rambling bs like most of write on here.
    Interesting thought ;)

EV
  • Options
    Police Man - is there one album that comes to mind that you feel is at least similar to what this album may be? Interested to hear your opinion on that.

EV
  • Options
    dislocateddislocated Posts: 599
    nukeboot wrote:
    ExplodingHead.jpg

Ive talked to people that your have not talked to & this IS definatley the new album cover.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    keyser wrote:

now i know,,,Dave Abbruzzese is that u?
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”