Options

New Album - Don't Let "Got Some" Fool You

Pearl SamPearl Sam Posts: 88
edited June 2009 in The Porch
Whether or not you dig it, "Got Some" is not in any way reflective of the theme, feel or sound of the new record. The new song played on Conan may sound to many of you like the same old fast, punkish tunes we have been given via "Binaural", "Riot Act" and "Pearl Jam-ST". I know that many loyals think these fast, punkish numbers are bland, generic, incomplete or unrealized. So, my goal with this thread is to provide hope - hope that "Backspacer" will contain material which sounds new to our ears, perhaps as new as "No Code" did back in the fall of 1996.

While "Backspacer" may or may not do as well commercially (e.g. have as many charting singles, sell as many copies) as "Pearl Jam-ST", it will shut the mouths of many of these "loyal haters" who believe Pearl Jam's last relevant record was "Yield", or in extreme cases, "Vs." The new album will also do better critically than any of the last three studio records, and that is not to say that any of the last three albums have done poorly critically, with composite scores of 69, 73 and 74, chronologically.

I expect some of the influences the band members have cited throughout the past several months to come through a little stronger in the sound of "Backspacer". As the "loyal haters" have grown tired of new material influenced heavily by "Bruce Springsteen", "The Beatles" (Parachutes), "Soundgarden" and generic punk rock, we should look for "Backspacer" to be influenced by respected acts/albums such as "Into the Wild", "PJ Harvey" (particularly 2000s "Stories"), "The Stooges", "The Who" (still), "Sleater Kinney", "Led Zeppelin", "Rolling Stones", "Soundgarden" (still), "The Strokes" and, of course "Jimi Hendrix".

Yes indeed, the forthcoming "Backspacer" is certain to please our ears, while sounding significantly different than anything Pearl Jam have done before. No, "Backspacer" will not be as choppy or as seemingly inconsistent as self-titled, nor will it be as disappointingly artsy as "Riot Act" or as dark as "Binaural". So, despite the fact that "Got Some" may seem to be as generic of a Pearl Jam song as one can imagine, the new record as a whole will be anything but generic.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 707
    and you know this because?
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    The StugotsThe Stugots Posts: 306
    Have you listened to the new album, or is this all just speculation?
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    Eddie, is that you? 8-)
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    Sounds like a review from Rolling Stone...
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    Police Man wrote:
    Whether or not you dig it, "Got Some" is not in any way reflective of the theme, feel or sound of the new record. The new song played on Conan may sound to many of you like the same old fast, punkish tunes we have been given via "Binaural", "Riot Act" and "Pearl Jam-ST". I know that many loyals think these fast, punkish numbers are bland, generic, incomeplete or unrealized. So, my goal with this thread is to provide hope - hope that "Backspacer" will contain material which sounds new to our ears, perhaps as new as "No Code" did back in the fall of 1996.

While "Backspacer" may or may not do as well commercially (e.g. have as many charting singles, sell as many copies) as "Pearl Jam-ST", it will shut the mouths of many of these "loyal haters" who believe Pearl Jam's last relevant record was "Yield", or in extreme cases, "Vs." The new album will also do better critically than any of the last three studio records, and that is not to say that any of the last three albums have done poorly critically, with composite scores of 69, 73 and 74, chronologically.

I expect some of the influences the band members have cited throughout the past several months to come through a little stronger in the sound of "Backspacer". As the "loyal haters" have grown tired of new material influenced heavily by "Bruce Springsteen", "The Beatles" (Parachutes), "Soundgarden" and generic punk rock, we should look for "Backspacer" to be influenced by respected acts/albums such as "Into the Wild", "PJ Harvey" (particulary 2000s "Stories"), "The Stooges", "The Who" (still), "Sleater Kinney", "Led Zeppelin", "Rolling Stones", "Soundgarden" (still), "The Strokes" and, of course "Jimi Hendrix".

Yes indeed, the forthcoming "Backspacer" is certain to please our ears, while sounding significantly different than anything Pearl Jam have done before. No, "Backspacer" will not be as choppy or as seemingly inconsistent as self-titled, nor will it be as disappointingly artsy as "Riot Act" or as dark as "Binaural". So, despite the fact that "Got Some" may seem to be as generic of a Pearl Jam song as one can imagine, the new record as a whole will be anything but generic.
    First of all.. I'm sorry, I really can't figure out, are you suggesting you know any of these for a fact, or are you speculating?
    Second of all... I've heard many various things said about Got Some, but "generic Pearl Jam song" is not one of them. I find Got Some represents a new minimalist style that I haven't heard from Pearl Jam for a long time - if ever.
    Third of all, I can hear hints of ALL of those artists that you've mentioned - both the ones you suggest will be abandoned, and the "new" ones you suggest the Pearl Jam sound will reflect - are noticeably present in various Pearl Jam songs already written, in my opinion.
    Finally, however, I think I agree with you that, depending on the marketing campaign which will soon come to light I'm sure, this album does have the potential to outsell any of the last few albums.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options

1. I have not listened to the new record.
    2. I am not "in" with the band.
    3. I know I am right.
  • Options
    LiteTheMatchLiteTheMatch Posts: 1,175
    He's a police man. The police are always right. Never question the police :lol:
    A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Options
    benjs wrote:
    Third of all, I can hear hints of ALL of those artists that you've mentioned - both the ones you suggest will be abandoned, and the "new" ones you suggest the Pearl Jam sound will reflect - are noticeably present in various Pearl Jam songs already written, in my opinion.

I didn't mean to suggest that any influences would be abandoned, only that we will hear influences from these additional acts. And, yes I've heard some of them in past works as well, but I expect "Backspacer" to perhaps feature these influences a bit more.
  • Options
    He's a police man. The police are always right. Never question the police :lol:

Bingo - as a Police Man, I have access to info that lowly civilians don't. I am powerful - as powerful as Ed, and I will squeeze info out if necessary. ;)
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Police Man wrote:

3. I know I am right.

Shutit. How the F can stand behind your delusions?
  • Options
    Police Man wrote:

3. I know I am right.

Yep - I'm in delusions - I need help. Also, did you mean to ask "How the F can you stand behind your delusions?" Assuming that is what you have asked, I stand by what I wrote because I have the ability to gather facts, pair those facts with quotes, history and recent occurences, and backwardly deduce. It's not that complicated, and I'm not suggesting I'm any smarter than you.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,777
    Police Man wrote:

3. I know I am right.

How bout, F: You're a gimp.

You know what you can do with your pop quiz?

Well, you know what you can do with your show? You can take a flying......till the handle breaks off and you have to get a doctor to pull it out again!

You kiss your mother with that mouth?
  • Options
    Police Man wrote:

3. I know I am right.

Also I wanted to add - it's dudes like you (the ones who tell people to "shut it" when I just took the time to write something positive) that give me all kinds of negative and bad vibes. Ugh - I hope I don't run into your type at any shows. I need positive vibes, and not hateful and negative vibes. :(
  • Options
    Police Man wrote:

3. I know I am right.

Well, you know what you can do with your show? You can take a flying......till the handle breaks off and you have to get a doctor to pull it out again!

:?: I don't understand a damn thing you said. Are you quoting some cool movie or something? If you're bein mean to me, I'm not sure what I did to deserve it, other than maybe be honest. I offered some info which I know is right, and unlike some who need attention, I'm not claiming to be a band member. I'm sorry if that's the answer you wanted. So, anyway, please take your jibberish comment out of this thread, unless you can
    explain what the hell it means.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,777
    Police Man wrote:
    Police Man wrote:
    3. I know I am right.

:?: I don't understand a damn thing you said. Are you quoting some cool movie or something? If you're bein mean to me, I'm not sure what I did to deserve it, other than maybe be honest. I offered some info which I know is right, and unlike some who need attention, I'm not claiming to be a band member. I'm sorry if that's the answer you wanted. So, anyway, please take your jibberish comment out of this thread, unless you can

Wayne's World! C'mon, man/woman!

I should've just left it at, "F: You're a gimp."
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,680
    I agree with Police Man

Backspacer will rock socks.
  • Options
    [/quote]Wayne's World! C'mon, man/woman! I should've just left it at, "F: You're a gimp."[/quote]

Oh I'm sorry - it's only been about 20 years since I watched that one. Also, I didn't buy the movie, so I haven't watched it since. But, I have seen some other decent movies since then.

But, I'll tell ya, not too many movies can I quote like that. You must have a really big hard drive. :roll:
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    Police Man wrote:

Would you please stop talking about things you "know"? Rumours are flying left, right and center, and here you come spouting some self-proclaimed "truths", when in fact, you are just as in (out of) the know as the rest of us. I don't know if you think you're smarter than the rest of us, or whether you're just delusional, but honestly - come on.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    smobeesmobee Valparaiso Indiana Posts: 178
    You'd better listen to this guy or you might end up getting tasered. :shock:
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    :lol::lol::lol: comedy hr allways starts when i'm getting ready to hit the road, you know this because,why ,who c'mon just wait till we get to hear for ourselves and then each and eveyone of us can make up our own opinions please .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    edited June 2009
    Mmmmm a positive post for once. A lot better than the I-know-this-album-is-going-to-suck-beforehand or I-heard-one-song-and-made-up-my-mind-forever posts that often fly by. I dig your point. But I'm intrigued however. Which facts did you trace back that lead you to this conclusion?

Ps to me, I enjoy "Got Some". I think it's tight and it rocks. I don't consider it in any way an unfinished song. But I do hope that Backtracker will have some more experimental influences.
    Post edited by fortyshades on
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    now after this im ok,,,dont have to lishen the new album...you cover all :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    Police Man wrote:

3. I know I am right.

Are you Jerry Cantrell? lol. He told me alot of what you just told us. He says we are in for a mega treat
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    now after this im ok,,,dont have to lishen the new album...you cover all :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol:
  • Options
    VOLITIONVOLITION Posts: 328
    Wow it didn't take long for this poor guy to get bitched slapped, LOL!
    I think most fans will disagree that Got Some is a generic PJ song
    The Vocal styles and melody Ed used striked me as very fresh and the sound that Mike was getting from his amp halfway through the song was fucking wild! Awesome hook, killer drum fills and a cool bass groove, i dig it.
    I think they will get things right on this album, it's going to rock hard but i imagine there will be at least a few quiet Ed/Stone ballads.
    Let's go boys "HARD AS FUCK!"
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    failed_2.jpg
  • Options
    VOLITION wrote:
    Wow it didn't take long for this poor guy to get bitched slapped, LOL!
    "

LOL - Bitch slapped? It doesn't bother me too much to get biotch slapped on a message board. Now, in person it might hurt, but I seriously doubt that Benjs guy doing the message board bitch slapping would have the same thing to say to my face.

It's pretty easy to bitch slap people on message boards, isn't it Benjs? :D
  • Options
    benjs wrote:
    Would you please stop talking about things you "know"? Rumours are flying left, right and center, and here you come spouting some self-proclaimed "truths", when in fact, you are just as in (out of) the know as the rest of us. I don't know if you think you're smarter than the rest of us, or whether you're just delusional, but honestly - come on.

No, Benjs, I will not stop talking about things that I know. I pretty much have the right to say what I think (or know) is the truth. If you don't like my thoughts, dude, then simply take your eyes to another thread. Also, if you read all my posts you would see where I said "I'm not suggesting I'm any smarter than any of you".

I disagree that I'm just as in the know as you or most others. If that were the case, then I wouldn't have started this thread to begin with. What value would I provide if I simply regurgitated info from elsewhere on the internet? I'm pretty sure I do have info that you probably don't. My knowledge and surety is NOT limited to the new album info @ http://www.pearljamonline.it/curiosit%E ... bumeng.htm, if that's what you're suggesting. While I did say I haven't listened to the new album, and I'm not "In" with the band, I have talked to some people that you haven't. And, if you don't like that, or don't want to believe that, then well, that's just too bad. 8-)
  • Options
    Soulfire42Soulfire42 Posts: 404
    Boom, is that really you? ;)
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    Police Man wrote:
    Whether or not you dig it, "Got Some" is not in any way reflective of the theme, feel or sound of the new record. The new song played on Conan may sound to many of you like the same old fast, punkish tunes we have been given via "Binaural", "Riot Act" and "Pearl Jam-ST". I know that many loyals think these fast, punkish numbers are bland, generic, incomplete or unrealized. So, my goal with this thread is to provide hope - hope that "Backspacer" will contain material which sounds new to our ears, perhaps as new as "No Code" did back in the fall of 1996.

I expect some of the influences the band members have cited throughout the past several months to come through a little stronger in the sound of "Backspacer". As the "loyal haters" have grown tired of new material influenced heavily by "Bruce Springsteen", "The Beatles" (Parachutes), "Soundgarden" and generic punk rock, we should look for "Backspacer" to be influenced by respected acts/albums such as "Into the Wild", "PJ Harvey" (particularly 2000s "Stories"), "The Stooges", "The Who" (still), "Sleater Kinney", "Led Zeppelin", "Rolling Stones", "Soundgarden" (still), "The Strokes" and, of course "Jimi Hendrix".

i dig it man and my expectations are always high when it comes to this band...and they always excel above the rest...whether all people notice or not. an artistic curve ball here and there is nice but i like what pj do best, and thats rock n f'n roll me

having said that got some is exactly what i expect from PJ and for that i am truly grateful...it's why i became a fan of theirs in the first place...and um there are some days i just don't need/want to be challenged...i just want my rock to be straight up. i love got some, x 10