Options

Woke up with a new-found appreciation for Gone

benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
edited June 2009 in The Porch
Anyone else have an epiphany about how phenomenal this song is at some point? For whatever reason, the eerie-ness of the song just got to me this morning when I randomly decided to play it.
'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    Over the years I have gone through this with many PJ songs that I didn't like at first ~ notably Ghost and Evacuation lately.

But since Avocado was released Gone was and continues to be my least favourite Pearl Jam studio song. I can't see myself ever loving that song. Glad you found the love though...
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    Over the years I have gone through this with many PJ songs that I didn't like at first ~ notably Ghost and Evacuation lately.

But since Avocado was released Gone was and continues to be my least favourite Pearl Jam studio song. I can't see myself ever loving that song. Glad you found the love though...
    It's been way down there for me too, but somehow something clicked. Usually I do an "abridged" version of Avocado - Comatose, Severed Hand, Marker in the Sand, Parachutes, then the last four tracks. I don't know what force in the room told me "click Gone", but something registered that never has previously with this song.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
    I don't usually like to post here. I just like to occassionally read what others have to say but anywho .... I can't believe you guys are dissing "Gone" like that. That and "Inside Job" and far an away the best songs on Avacado for me. I think you just have to sit down and listen to "Gone". It is a softer Pearl Jam song but it definately picks up and gets harder and faster near the end and rocks pretty hard. It's the classic Eddie Vedder, I'm in a car song and getting the fuck outta here. I just love it and I'm just dissapointed that other Pearl Jam fanatics don't love "Gone" like I love it.
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • Options
    FW46778FW46778 Posts: 227
    Being someone who frequents atlantic city, I often play it when I leave just as a tradition. I have faired really well lately there so it has not exactly hit home.
    I used to be MILKwasAbadChoice...Now I am just FW46778...a math teacher in jersey
  • Options
    letsongsprotestletsongsprotest Novi, MI Posts: 548
    I never appreciated Gone until i saw it live. Luckily that was shortly after the album release.

I still dont totally get into Inside Job. I like the song but the drum sound really bugs me (and im not a Matt hater at all).
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Options
    loved it from the get go...another underrated song from that album..Ed's version on the AOL sessions is my favorite by far!! if you haven't seen/heard this version...GET IT!!!
  • Options
    Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
    Dude, couldn't agree with you more. The version of just Ed playing that song on the xmas single is out of this world. If you have that single and a record player you should listen to the song religiously. Vinyl is the best way to listen to anything.
    Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,512
    BeerBaron wrote:

just to piss BeerBaron off, when we're at a PJ show, i love to toss the word Gone into a sentence:

"alright, i'm gone to my seats, i'll see you out there,..."

"while you were grabbing a beer, the band was soundchecking but now they are gone,..."

i could go on and on, but it's gone,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    I can't say that I'm a fan of the studio version of the song - but the version I saw at WPB last year definitely caught my attention. I throw on this version at least weekly. It's a great song and at this point in my life, I can really identify with the struggles that are playing out in it.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    Love "Gone."

There's a certain hopefulness in it, I think.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    supergrasssupergrass Posts: 48
    The genius of Pearl Jam and something that isn't true of a lot of big bands is that their songs can hit you at different times, based on what's going on in your life. I've had that happen to me with a few songs, Not for You and Parting Ways being two of them.

Another thing that makes Pearl Jam special is that you can look at their catalog of songs and almost every song is probably a fan's favorite PJ tune.
  • Options
    Love "Gone."

There's a certain hopefulness in it, I think.
    That's what I find so interesting about it - it's hopeful, while recognizing prominent issues.

EV
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    JUST LOVE GONE,,THATS WHY PJ PUT COME BACK IN THE ALBUM,,FOR WHATEVER GONE,TO COME BACK..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    I LOVE Gone. For personal reasons mainly. The first time I heard the opening chords and Ed's very serious voice hover over, it froze me still.

Not the best PJ song of all time,...but meant a lot to me bc i felt like its kinda my story
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    supergrass wrote:
    The genius of Pearl Jam and something that isn't true of a lot of big bands is that their songs can hit you at different times, based on what's going on in your life. I've had that happen to me with a few songs, Not for You and Parting Ways being two of them.

Another thing that makes Pearl Jam special is that you can look at their catalog of songs and almost every song is probably a fan's favorite PJ tune.

An excellent point.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    Gone.

So Gone.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    this did it for me..
    watch out though. matt is lurking :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArslVcMLeQ8
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    I LOVE Gone. For personal reasons mainly. The first time I heard the opening chords and Ed's very serious voice hover over, it froze me still.

Not the best PJ song of all time,...but meant a lot to me bc i felt like its kinda my story

I'm with you on this....
    The song is so fucking haunting bc of one of my stories too. Loved it from the first chord - never mind how the words are so on. :) It's a touching song even if you can't relate it to one of your own personal experiences. This band is so in tune with people's lives and the world we live in and Ed's voice is the exclamation point.
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    MEGATRON wrote:
    this did it for me..
    watch out though. matt is lurking :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArslVcMLeQ8

W - O- W!
    Thanks for that. Fuckin beautiful.
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau