Options

Ebay - Potential probelm w/ seller

grjammergrjammer Posts: 385
edited June 2009 in The Porch
Hey all. I am looking for some advice/feedback from those of you more experienced with ebay than I am. I won an auction two days ago for a Vs. vinyl and Vitalogy vinyl (both allegedly in good condition) for $45. I was a bit hesistant to bid because the seller had only 4 or 5 instances of feedback. However, the feedback was all positive so I decided to go for it.

I made payment though paypal a few hours after realizing I had won the auction. I have yet to recieve any communication from the seller. I sent a message through ebay this morning indicating that I had made payment looked forward to quick transaction.

I have purchased posters in the past and have typically received communication from the seller within 24 hours of making payment.

I know ebay has procedures available for obtaining refunds but was wondering how long to wait to start the process.

Any advice or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    file a grievance with paypal
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    so its only been a day? give the seller time! generally people will get back to you pretty quickly... but alot of those people are also into ebaying as a second career... if this seller only has 5 feedbacks then he/she probably doesnt check up on it as often as they should... I'd say atleast a week before you contact ebay... hope that helps
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Dissident67Dissident67 Posts: 565
    grjammer wrote:
    Hey all. I am looking for some advice/feedback from those of you more experienced with ebay than I am. I won an auction two days ago for a Vs. vinyl and Vitalogy vinyl (both allegedly in good condition) for $45. I was a bit hesistant to bid because the seller had only 4 or 5 instances of feedback. However, the feedback was all positive so I decided to go for it.

I made payment though paypal a few hours after realizing I had won the auction. I have yet to recieve any communication from the seller. I sent a message through ebay this morning indicating that I had made payment looked forward to quick transaction.

I have purchased posters in the past and have typically received communication from the seller within 24 hours of making payment.

I know ebay has procedures available for obtaining refunds but was wondering how long to wait to start the process.

I have used ebay many times and fortunately this hasn't happened so I don't know how long to wait. But as a good rule you shouldn't send payment to the seller until they send you an invoice, this confirms everything and first gives you contact with the seller so you know you legitimately won and at what exact price to pay. So just a tip to keep this in mind for next time.
    "Change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks"
  • Options
    grjammer wrote:

I have used ebay many times and fortunately this hasn't happened so I don't know how long to wait. But as a good rule you shouldn't send payment to the seller until they send you an invoice, this confirms everything and first gives you contact with the seller so you know you legitimately won and at what exact price to pay. So just a tip to keep this in mind for next time.

Thanks. That is a good tip that I will keep in mind for next time.

I'm not really worried about the money since I know I'll be able to get a refund if the seller doesn't ship the item. I'm just wondering what the "etiquette" is for things like this. I don't want to start the refund process if it is completely normal not to receive any sort of communication from a seller for two days after the end of an auction.

I'm not trying to be difficult :)
  • Options
    Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    dude, 2 days really?

Half the time I just get the address off of paypal - mail the product they won without any emails. They get their product within a week, no harm there.

Less communication on ebay = better I believe.

If you start emailing me 2 days after the auction because you're all nervous? I might just mess with ya haha!

Don't buy from me!!!!!!! lol :lol::lol::lol:
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • Options
    Give it a week before you start to worry.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    dude, 2 days really?

Half the time I just get the address off of paypal - mail the product they won without any emails. They get their product within a week, no harm there.

If you start emailing me 2 days after the auction because you're all nervous? I might just mess with ya haha!

Less communication in ANYTHING related to money, in my opinion = MUCH worse. Frankly, with the amount of scamming that goes on these days, it's only logical to be a skeptic.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    dude, 2 days really?

:) No, there is certainly no harm in that. In the few transactions I've completed on ebay I have always received email confirmations from the seller, that is all.

You didn't recently post a Vs. vinyl and Vitalogy vinyl on ebay did you? :)
  • Options
    jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    i been ripped off on ebay several times myself... but its only two days... most of the time when i win something i dont ever hear anything from the seller... if you did make payment through paypal you are most definately protected... so if the seller is ripping you off, just file a complaint... paypal is usually good about getting your money back from dead beat sellers...

i wouldnt worry about it until at least 2 weeks or so with no word or received items...
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    Don't panic yet..give it at least a week
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    you're completely protected by paypal so i wouldn't worry

especially if it's ONLY been 2 days

if they have little feedback then they're not a typical ebay seller and they probably don't know what buyers expect
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    the one time i did contact paypal and get a refund the item eventually showed up some 2 months later... the seller then had the nerve to contact me and see if i would resend the money saying that it was the post office's fault (despite not returning any of my messages during those 2 months)... so moral of the story... be patient... file a complaint as a last resort... maybe you can get your money and the item :mrgreen:
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    grjammer wrote:
    dude, 2 days really?

:) No, there is certainly no harm in that. In the few transactions I've completed on ebay I have always received email confirmations from the seller, that is all.

The day I post my vinyls is the day you all drool!
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • Options
    grjammer wrote:
    dude, 2 days really?

The day I post my vinyls is the day you all drool!
    You may want to hurry up so we drool - rather than being sick of all the vinyls that'll inevitably be flying around here once this reissue plan starts!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs wrote:
    You may want to hurry up so we drool - rather than being sick of all the vinyls that'll inevitably be flying around here once this reissue plan starts!

You won't find a 5 tracks from the new album as part of a reissue set would u? naahhh i don't think so?
    let's just say the only one i'm missing is a blue vs.
    oh and i'm also part of the reeenk roink club
    hehe i just bragged, sorry.
  • Options
    benjs wrote:

You won't find a 5 tracks from the new album as part of a reissue set would u? naahhh i don't think so?
    let's just say the only one i'm missing is a blue vs.
    oh and i'm also part of the reeenk roink club
    hehe i just bragged, sorry.
    :|
    New album as in S/T or Backspacer??

EV
  • Options
    st1st1 Posts: 143
    I rarely get any communication from the seller; just the goods about a week later. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I pay in a timely manner; they ship in a timely manner. End of transaction.
  • Options
    ChrisileinChrisilein Vienna/Austria Posts: 3,878
    I bought the ames book on ebay on the 30th of april for only $ 85 plus shipping! Perfect...but until now I haven't received the book! After waiting 3 weeks I looked at the past auctions of the seller and I couldn't believe my eyes!!! He sold exactly the same book to another person one month before!!! :shock: Exactly the same description, exactly the same explanation of the condition?!?! I was a little bit insecure and asked the seller how this could happen...this was the last time he wrote back until today!! He explained that the first customer sent the book back (i disbelieved in that because he made a perfect feedback for the transaction) and therefore he sold it again!!!
    However I applied for customer protection on paypal, particularly with regard to no further message from the seller!!! No he has time to solve this "problem" until the 15th of june! Hope to get my money back, I am sure that the ames book will not come... :(

Shit happens!
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    st1 wrote:
    I rarely get any communication from the seller; just the goods about a week later. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. I pay in a timely manner; they ship in a timely manner. End of transaction.

Exactly. I have had many ebay transactions myself and luckily have never been burned. I usually pay and rarely recieve an email. The stuff just shows up about a week later. If after a week or so I haven't recieved anything, I contact the seller first. They usually respond quickly and explain the delay. Be patient. Like everyone said before, you're money is protected with paypal.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    st1 wrote:
    Why do I need a receipt if I want to buy a donut? I'll just give you the money, and you give me a donut. End of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this.

EV