Options

PEARL JAM PUTS CONAN OVER THE TOP

Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
edited June 2009 in The Porch
Ratings Blitz !

alg_conan_obrien.jpg

Conan O'Brien's 'Tonight Show' debut scores big with high ratings

Read more: "Conan O'Brien's 'Tonight Show' debut scores big with high ratings" - http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... ETDyykYY&A

Conan O'Brien scored a ratings victory with his 'Tonight Show' debut.

Conan O'Brien's first night as host of NBC's legendary "Tonight Show" generated the program's biggest audience for a Monday in four years.

Preliminary ratings from 56 of the country's major markets show O'Brien easily outpaced CBS' "The Late Show" with David Letterman and ABC's "Nightline" combined.

Official national figures for the show won't be available from Nielsen until June 11, but O'Brien's first show may have reached more than 9 million viewers.

O'Brien took over the show Monday after Jay Leno stepped down Friday, ending a 17-year run at the helm of the popular late-night show.

The decision to move Leno out of the seat was made five years ago. With the exception of his first 18 months on the job, Leno was No. 1 in late-night land. Leno will launch a 10 p.m. show in the fall on NBC.

Monday's audience for "Tonight" with O'Brien was up 82% compared to the show's average in the major markets in the second quarter of the year.

In head-to-head competition, O'Brien had a 154% margin over Letterman. Locally, O'Brien nearly doubled Letterman's audience.

Still, O'Brien's big start was down about 19% from Leno's Friday farewell.

And compared to Leno's 1992 debut, O'Brien is off about 49% - although the comparison isn't quite fare considering the number of channels in the average home has tripled in that time.

The real test of O'Brien's hold on the audience will be in the coming weeks and months when the buzz about the major change wears off and regular viewing patterns set in.
For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
platessmall.jpg
ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
http://www.UNOS.org
Donate Organs and Save a Life
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SS170824SS170824 Posts: 40
    I hate to burst your bubble, but Conan would have gotten this rating regardless if Pearl Jam was performing or not.

Hell, Kenny G could have performed and the ratings would have been just as good.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I doubt any of that had to do with PJ. Especially since it doesnt say PJ anywhere in the article.

Everytime I read Obrien I keep thinking their talking about Brendon Obrien.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    dislocateddislocated Posts: 599
    PJ had nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,750
    Let us pretend.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    This thread title is misleading.

One could construe that PJ were able to pickup Conan The Barbarian, which we know they just aren't strong enough to do. And seriously, Conan has a freakin' sword. Ain't gonna happen.

conan.jpg
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    saveyou22saveyou22 Posts: 154
    Well having a band like PJ definatly helped that's for sure.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    SS170824 wrote:
    I hate to burst your bubble, but Conan would have gotten this rating regardless if Pearl Jam was performing or not.

Hell, Kenny G could have performed and the ratings would have been just as good.

agreed.
    even tho watching the show made me realize why i stopped watching conan a looooonnnnggggg time ago, and late night in general - 5 minute snippets of show with little actual content followed by what seems like 15 minutes of commericals, and back and forth until the show is over and you had 18 minutes (being generous there ;)) of *entertainment.

that said, it's also why it was so GREAt pj was asked to be on the show, and a GREAt move on pj's part for being involved....all those viewers tuned in for the new tonight show, and getting to hear pearl jam. win-win for them. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    JW268417 wrote:
    Well having a band like PJ definatly helped that's for sure.

It didn't hurt, but it had little to nothing to do with the huge rating.
  • Options
    Gremmie03Gremmie03 Posts: 502
    and all those people saying "wow!! PJ didnt sound so good"
    Demented and sad, but social
    Wrigley Earthcam/Hartford 2013
  • Options
    JT252714JT252714 Posts: 8
    Conan's ratings dropped by 30% the next night...
  • Options
    i dont know guys out of the 9 million i think about 6-7 million tuned on just for Conan's first night. You gotta think that a huge star like Will Ferrel and a big rock band like Pearl Jam drew fans of theirs to the show as well.

I'd be interested to see how many people were watching 10 minutes before Pearl Jam compared to when PJ was playing
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    CONAN sucked ass the show was lame at best, PJ ROCKED i do hope the band stays away from tv shows for a long while,the only funny thing about the show is conan's hair wtf is he thinking ...him and trump should get together to have a hairoff ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    dislocated wrote:
    PJ had nothing to do with it.
    well said
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”