Options

You guys are overanalyzing the SH*T out of this!

2»

Comments

• Options
    PearlJamPatriotPearlJamPatriot Posts: 2,426
    It's just a song. Whether its good or bad is all subjective.

It sounds like this, it sounds like that. The sound was bad, the sound was good. Ed sounded good, Ed sounded bad. I like slow songs, I like fast songs. This will make pearl jam, this will break pearl jam.. My head is spinning from reading all of these posts! It's like you people were making a life changing decision.

Does anyone actually enjoy music anymore and take it for what it is??? Music is much more enjoyable when you don't over-analyize it.

:P

8-)
    Exactly! My head is spinning today.
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA

• Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,558
    i'm going to have to remember not to come in here the day the album comes out....
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,749
    It's just a song. Whether its good or bad is all subjective.

It sounds like this, it sounds like that. The sound was bad, the sound was good. Ed sounded good, Ed sounded bad. I like slow songs, I like fast songs. This will make pearl jam, this will break pearl jam.. My head is spinning from reading all of these posts! It's like you people were making a life changing decision.

Does anyone actually enjoy music anymore and take it for what it is??? Music is much more enjoyable when you don't over-analyize it.

:P

8-)
    Exactly! My head is spinning today.

Most of these people wouldn't have liked Pearl Jam back in the day. From a three-minute performance of Alive on SNL, they would have deduced that the singer growls too much, the guitarist jumps around too much, the bassist wears goofy hats and the drummer looks like he's about a year away from getting kicked out of the band for being a douchebag.

And never would have listened to them again.

Seriously. We're going to judge a song on the very first live performance ever? Really? Tough crowd.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    ComeToTX wrote:
    i'm going to have to remember not to come in here the day the album comes out....

I prefer to come in about six months after albums come out, for the slew of "I hated this album at first, but (surprise!) it grew on me and now I can't put it down" threads.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    ComeToTX wrote:

I prefer to come in about six months after albums come out, for the slew of "I hated this album at first, but (surprise!) it grew on me and now I can't put it down" threads.
    I started posting on the boards shortly after Yield came out, and I remember how people thought that album sucked! lol
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    You know whats funny, last night when I was watching it for the first time, I dodn't know what to watch or pay attention to, one of the guys, the lyrics, the music, the song as a whole, the tempo of the song. I was at a loss that first time through. Which, is why i had to watch it like 5 times last night before going to bed, and I have already watched it about 3 more times today at work. Just fucking awesome!!! I love it!! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    ComeToTX wrote:

I started posting on the boards shortly after Yield came out, and I remember how people thought that album sucked! lol

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • Options
    ComeToTX wrote:

You'd think people would learn to forgo the knee-jerk reactions when it comes to these guys. Their shit is always an acquired taste. Usually about the time we start to decipher what the hell Ed is singing about.
  • Options
    DesignVHLDesignVHL Posts: 297
    Music is much more enjoyable when you don't over-analyize it.

I couldn't agree more.

I have some very critical friends w/ music and it makes me nuts sometimes. Also though, I work with people in the industry - audio engineers, etc. a lot of them ARE critical, as they almost can't help it since they listen daily...one guy I worked with (who has since passed on) said being an audio engineer completely ruined his love for music because he analyzed too much. Thought that was kind of interesting. Personally, I am glad I don't have an "ear" for music because I really really love it and would hate to be one of those analytical criticizers.
    | valerie |

EXPAND YOUR ELEMENT!
  • Options
    RD171825RD171825 Posts: 440
    Didn't know what to think after watching lastnight. Today i watched the vid and have listened to the song over and over again. It sounds promising, the rest of the record should be great.
  • Options
    edvedderrocksedvedderrocks Posts: 1,001
    "Does anyone actually enjoy music anymore and take it for what it is??? Music is much more enjoyable when you don't over-analyize it."

Can't believe how many threads are on here about this. Well, yes I can. Most topics on here are over analyzed to death! Just happy to see the boys making some new music!!!
    "I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."

1996 Merriweather, MD; 1998 Camden, NJ; 2000 Camden, NJ; 2003 Camden, NJ; 2005 Philly, PA; 2006 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2); 2006 Arnhem, NED; 2008 Camden, NJ(nights 1 & 2), Washington DC, MSG(night 2) 2009 Philly Spectrum Shows(nights 1,2,3,4) 2010 Hartford,CT and MSG(night 2)

ED Solo - 2008 Washington DC, 2009 Philly, PA(nights 1&2)*Met Eddie =)
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    ComeToTX wrote:

Yeah this place will be a shit storm for a good while after the release...

Maybe to help, just stay far away from The Porch...which is where most of the overanalyzing of the band happens :)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    ComeToTX wrote:

I became a fan in late 1999 after listening to Ten for the first time and remember asking on a fan forum which album I should pick up next. Almost everyone told me not to pick up No Code and Yield because those were the worst...and those ended up being my 2 favorite PJ albums I think No Code was better liked than Yield at that point :)
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    The same could be said about any song.. like I said, music is subjective.

It's fine, you don't like the arrangement of the song. Just say it. It's your opinion. There are no facts that make music better than other music. It is not a race.

:lol: I thought I did just say it :lol:
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    How dare I express my opinion of this song. Bad Tree.....bad!

:lol:

Yeah, you are all right. It's a great song and I have to like it. :roll: :roll:
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,154
    IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!!IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!!IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!!IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!!

ps....loved the song last night!! ;-) Everyone looked happy and healthy!!

pps....LOTS of NEWBIES here too has changed the complex...attitude and overall feel of this place since the "change"...Change is good to a point. ;-)
    IT IS ABOUT WHAT?
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”