Options

Jeff and Matt on Conan Song

JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
edited June 2009 in The Porch
After two listens to the new tune:
I used to prefer the loser drumming style of JackIrons, but have grown to realy dig Matts drumming too. I thought his drums were awesome on the new song.

But more importantly, after reading all the posts this morning about Stone and Eddies vocals being good or bad, I wanted to focus in on the one thing that stood out to me and made me real excited about the new album. That was Jeffs base. Maybe it was because of the stops and starts on guitar, but I thought his base was more prominent than it has been in the past. Usually I cant hear him, or he is lost in the mix of three other guitars, but I thought his base lines were sweet and right up front for us to hear for once.
Loved that rhythm section last ninght!
Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    bwrightbwright Posts: 28
    agreed, jeff killed it last night
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    I was just thinking that on my third listen.

He really drives that song.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    i was thinking the exact same thing earlier,
  • Options
    gonzogonzo Posts: 553
    jeff killed it.
    no doubt.
    peace,
    gonzo
    4/10/94, 9/28/96, 9/29/96, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/01/04, 9/15/05, 9/30/05, 10/01/05, 5/4/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/31/09, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/15/13, 10/18/13, 10/19/13, 10/25/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 5/1/16, 5/2/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 4/7/17, 8/8/18, 8/10/18
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Matt needs to do something about his kit. Sounded like he was hitting on pillows. For a drummer who hangs his hat on his tom-playing, he has to do something to make the toms heard. Maybe a different kit. Maybe better tuning. Maybe the tv mix sucked. Band sounded pretty good though.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    STT757STT757 Posts: 302
    I completely agree, I love the prominence of Jeff and Matt on the song and Mike and Stone's guitars toned down a bit. Perhaps it was the mix as is obviously the issue with Ed's singing but I like Jeff and Matt leading the tempo and everyone else following. For the last few years it seems that heavy guitar riffing either by Mike, Stone or Ed himself kind of overshadowed everyone else to the point where I could barely make Jeff's playing out on the last couple of albums.

I love Matt's drumming, really showing off his skills. And it's good to hear Jeff playing some strong bass, reminiscent of Vs. where Jeff shined.

I think what we are seeing (hearing) is Brendan O'Brien's influence, tone the guitars down and let the bass and drums come out more. I like.
    Randalls Island New York 9/29/96 - Oakland Coliseum Oakland California 11/15/97 - MSG New York New York 09/10/98 - Key Arena Seattle Washington 11/05/00, 11/06/00 - PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel New Jersey 7/14/03 - Tweeter Center Camden New Jersey 5/28/06, MSG New York New York 06/25/08, Spectrum Arena Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 10/27/09
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I thought jeffs bassline sounded like any other bassline you would hear in that type of song. that was a weak as hell bassline if you ask me.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    swardsward Posts: 586
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Matt needs to do something about his kit. Sounded like he was hitting on pillows. For a drummer who hangs his hat on his tom-playing, he has to do something to make the toms heard. Maybe a different kit. Maybe better tuning. Maybe the tv mix sucked. Band sounded pretty good though.

Nothing to do with his kit and everything to do with tv mix. Guaranteed.
  • Options
    sward wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:

Nothing to do with his kit and everything to do with tv mix. Guaranteed.

I know the album will sound good, I'm just hoping live boots will not sound like this. :)
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I thought Matt's work was as good as ever.

I didn't see Jeff's base. I was too busy watching everybody play. What was he standing on?
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,733
    I thought jeffs bassline sounded like any other bassline you would hear in that type of song. that was a weak as hell bassline if you ask me.
    I wouldn't say weak, but I agree that it was vanilla.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    DeLukin wrote:

I wouldn't say weak, but I agree that it was vanilla.

I think they wanted a straight punk/rock sound. While I love Flea bass lines as much as the next guy, this bass line suited the song.
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,358
    STT757 wrote:

And it's good to hear Jeff playing some strong bass, reminiscent of Vs. where Jeff shined.

I think what we are seeing (hearing) is Brendan O'Brien's influence, tone the guitars down and let the bass and drums come out more. I like.
    well said !!
  • Options
    I used to prefer the loser drumming style of JackIrons,
    :lol:
    The world is like a ride in an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. The ride goes up and down, around and around, it has thrills and chills, and it's very brightly colored, and it's very loud, and it's fun for a while. Many people have been on the ride a long time, and they begin to wonder, "Hey, is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and say, "Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever. Because this is just a ride." And we...kill those people. "Shut him up! I've got a lot invested in this ride, shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry, look at my big bank account, and my family. This has to be real." It's just a ride. But we always kill the good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok? But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.
    --Bill Hicks
  • Options
    DesignVHLDesignVHL Posts: 297
    I totally agree! Jeff and Matt most definitely stood out the most for me as well. The first thing I noticed was the drumming, great style and power on the song - which went REALLY well with Jeff's heavy bassline in that song. Definitely well done! :) They have a great connection - you could see the energy and communication there last night.
    | valerie |

EXPAND YOUR ELEMENT!
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138

well we didn't
  • Options
    satansbed wrote:

well we didn't

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    bwright wrote:
    agreed, jeff killed it last night
    so true- listening to it right now for like the 100th time and he's killing it!!!!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    STT757 wrote:

And it's good to hear Jeff playing some strong bass, reminiscent of Vs. where Jeff shined.

well said !!

I second this as well, although I must say, from a personal opinion stand point...I think that Jeff was pretty strong sounding on Vitalogy and No Code...but hey, that's just me.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    I used to prefer the loser drumming style of JackIrons,

Ha! I meant "loose", not loser. Jack was one of my favorites.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    +1 on Jeff and Matt sounding terrific. It was great to hear Jeff higher in the mix and I thought Matt's drumming was tight and really propelled the song forward.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    wash_wash_ Posts: 1,073
    Good call!!

I find it really difficult to hear Jeff aswell and I love the bass! So it's REALLY nice to hear a good strong bass riff driving the song...hopefully we can hear it on the record too.
    2006 ░▒▓ Astoria, Dublin, Leeds, Reading, Lisbon, Paris, Verona, Athens
    2007 ░▒▓ London, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009 ░▒▓ Manchester, London
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

*§* Music is all the juice i'll need *§*
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

I didn't see Jeff's base. I was too busy watching everybody play. What was he standing on?

:lol::lol:

Awesome. I'm surprised no one else said anything. I was also thinking along the lines of those little plastic army/soldier guys you played with as a kid. Or maybe the players in the old electronic vibrating football games...
    ...Can't escape from the common rule
    If you hate something, don't you do it too...
  • Options
    BenzBenz Posts: 110
    I thought the drums were extremely boring. Sound like what Matt does with every fucking song. Sometimes I have the feeling he is not even listening to what the band is doing. He`s playing the plain old groove (can you even tell it groove) over and over again. I mean it`s ok if he does it with new songs I don`t care about them but it hurts to know he plays the old classics like this too. This Band used to really groove but at some point they just lost it. I had high hopes in Brendan O`Brian because all albums he did somehow grooved but with this uninspired drummer I`m not sure.
    That ehhh fill he does here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9bScneEUOs around 00:47 hurts. I think Homer Simpson could do better...
    Ok ok i shut up - strange I always defend this band against others but lately I have the feeling it`s enough.
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    I used to prefer the loser drumming style of JackIrons, but have grown to realy dig Matts drumming too. I thought his drums were awesome on the new song.

But more importantly, after reading all the posts this morning about Stone and Eddies vocals being good or bad, I wanted to focus in on the one thing that stood out to me and made me real excited about the new album. That was Jeffs base. Maybe it was because of the stops and starts on guitar, but I thought his base was more prominent than it has been in the past. Usually I cant hear him, or he is lost in the mix of three other guitars, but I thought his base lines were sweet and right up front for us to hear for once.
    Loved that rhythm section last ninght!

jeffs the man!
    danny d
  • Options
    Benz wrote:
    I thought the drums were extremely boring. Sound like what Matt does with every fucking song. Sometimes I have the feeling he is not even listening to what the band is doing. He`s playing the plain old groove (can you even tell it groove) over and over again. I mean it`s ok if he does it with new songs I don`t care about them but it hurts to know he plays the old classics like this too. This Band used to really groove but at some point they just lost it. I had high hopes in Brendan O`Brian because all albums he did somehow grooved but with this uninspired drummer I`m not sure.
    That ehhh fill he does here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9bScneEUOs around 00:47 hurts. I think Homer Simpson could do better...
    Ok ok i shut up - strange I always defend this band against others but lately I have the feeling it`s enough.

Brendan O'Brian seems to have a lot on his plate, like everyone here is expecting gold. Just remember that the band writes the music, and they have evolved since the last time BoB was around.
    I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it's not like at 00:47 there was a lot of room for Matt to pull a john Bohnam. I thought the entire drum/base drive was stellar all the way through, and I usually think Matt is too technical. not this time though.
    You're comments sound like you've already written off the upcoming album, oh well...
  • Options
    BenzBenz Posts: 110
    Benz wrote:

Brendan O'Brian seems to have a lot on his plate, like everyone here is expecting gold. Just remember that the band writes the music, and they have evolved since the last time BoB was around.
    I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it's not like at 00:47 there was a lot of room for Matt to pull a john Bohnam. I thought the entire drum/base drive was stellar all the way through, and I usually think Matt is too technical. not this time though.
    You're comments sound like you've already written off the upcoming album, oh well...

No i`ve not written off the upcoming album. I`m pretty sure i will like it like I always did. I just think that in recent years they where not doing the best they could. There is so much more in them. But what they show of this now is still better than most of the other stuff out there so it will be ok.
    Back to the drums. I don`t mean that he should do more at the 00:47 mark just something more - don`t really have the words - intelligent? I think most of the times he does to much boring fills. He`s all over the toms but with no technical finesse or sense for the songs. Best example I can think of is the beginning of State Of Love And Trust. In the old days it was just 3 hits tom - tom - snare GO! Now its like 100 of hits in a giant fill but it`s just out of place. In the drummer world we speak of something like pocket groove this is something i don`t feel with Matt. He plays like a beginner. If you let a beginner behind the drums he`ll usually try to hit as many toms as possible in the shortest time but is this good? Is this technically challeging? Is it inspired?
    Maybe it`s my fault to blame it all just on Matt. Maybe it`s the whole band that is just not as tight anymore.
    10 years ago they where so focused and full of energy now it`s so loose and there is something missing that holds it together (usually the job of the drummer). Let me exaggerate a bit and don`t tell my friends I ever said something like this but Pearl Jam of today is just a group of drunk old men - yeah i wished Ed would stop drinking so much on stage and focus on delivering.
    That said I love this band! I also still love the current live shows but the reasons have changed. It`s definetely not because they do original, creative music which was what made me a Pearl Jam fan and I think it`s sad. Today it`s more about the vibe or something... Ehh I don`t even know where i`m going here Lol
    Maybe somebody understands :-)
  • Options
    STT757STT757 Posts: 302
    I understand the "Matt's too technical" opinion, if you go back and listen to Live on Two legs he had a much more aggressive sound which really impressed me from the start since he was just learning the music. He's really toned it down over the years, him and Jeff have really disappeared behind a wall of fast / punk guitar riffs coming from Mike, Eddie and Stone.

I cannot say it enough that I have high hopes for this album because of Brendan O'Brien's guidance, I know Pearl Jam does the music and lyrics but I think Brendan guides them and is honest enough to tell them "this isn't going to work" or "go back and rethink this, come at it from a different angle". I base this on the albums Brendan has produced for Pearl Jam (Vs., Vitalogy, No Code, Yield) which are Pearl Jam's best imho, and also from reading the various band member's recounting their time recording Vs. Eddie seemed to have a real hard time creatively, and Brendan was challenging Dave to the point that we get the sound of Dave in frustration throwing those sticks against the wall at the end of Rearview Mirror.

I think Brendan is going to challenge the members, something I don't feel the have been creatively in a long time. I also think he's going to be brutally honest, something I think the band members can accept from Brendan because of their long history (of success) together. I'm just speculating here but I think Brendan's marching orders are going to be tone down the guitars, especially less songs with Ed on guitar, no Boom, and you two in the back, Jeff and Matt, you guys lead. I wanna see what Jeff and Matt can do when challenged, and with the guitars in front turned down.
    Randalls Island New York 9/29/96 - Oakland Coliseum Oakland California 11/15/97 - MSG New York New York 09/10/98 - Key Arena Seattle Washington 11/05/00, 11/06/00 - PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel New Jersey 7/14/03 - Tweeter Center Camden New Jersey 5/28/06, MSG New York New York 06/25/08, Spectrum Arena Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 10/27/09
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,450
    DewieCox wrote:

:lol::lol:

Awesome. I'm surprised no one else said anything. I was also thinking along the lines of those little plastic army/soldier guys you played with as a kid. Or maybe the players in the old electronic vibrating football games...

First thing I noticed too. I just didn't want to be a dick!! :o:mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Benz wrote:
    No i`ve not written off the upcoming album. I`m pretty sure i will like it like I always did. I just think that in recent years they where not doing the best they could. There is so much more in them. But what they show of this now is still better than most of the other stuff out there so it will be ok.
    Back to the drums. I don`t mean that he should do more at the 00:47 mark just something more - don`t really have the words - intelligent? I think most of the times he does to much boring fills. He`s all over the toms but with no technical finesse or sense for the songs. Best example I can think of is the beginning of State Of Love And Trust. In the old days it was just 3 hits tom - tom - snare GO! Now its like 100 of hits in a giant fill but it`s just out of place. In the drummer world we speak of something like pocket groove this is something i don`t feel with Matt. He plays like a beginner. If you let a beginner behind the drums he`ll usually try to hit as many toms as possible in the shortest time but is this good? Is this technically challeging? Is it inspired?
    Maybe it`s my fault to blame it all just on Matt. Maybe it`s the whole band that is just not as tight anymore.
    10 years ago they where so focused and full of energy now it`s so loose and there is something missing that holds it together (usually the job of the drummer). Let me exaggerate a bit and don`t tell my friends I ever said something like this but Pearl Jam of today is just a group of drunk old men - yeah i wished Ed would stop drinking so much on stage and focus on delivering.
    That said I love this band! I also still love the current live shows but the reasons have changed. It`s definetely not because they do original, creative music which was what made me a Pearl Jam fan and I think it`s sad. Today it`s more about the vibe or something... Ehh I don`t even know where i`m going here Lol
    Maybe somebody understands :-)
    A group of Drunk old men? That is ludicrous! I think these guys are more focused than any band i've ever seen. I dont think anyone touches alcohol besides Eddie. Now I do agree with you about the drummer holding everything together, I cant see how anyone can say that Matt plays like a beginner though. Also My favorite stuff was when Jack was around, and this is probably the time you're talking about, because I always thought things seemed to mesh a little better and flow so smoothly. They're just a totally different band now. I really can sort of see what you're saying though, but I also like to think that Eddies drinking helps him loosen up and have fun, also helping in his delivery. I guess it could really go either way though.